D5 Keeps Crashing During Render Start

D5 Version 2.6.1.0423
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
Driver Versioni 551.23
While trying to render multiple scenes D5 crashes

This project has a bunch of trees added and the SU model is only a little less than 6mb. I’ve added quite a few trees and shrubs using the path placement and another group using the paint brush tools. Other than that it’s a very simple scene. If I try to render a single scene it will eventually render it but it takes 20 minutes or more. If I try to render a second scene after that it will crash. With the project loaded I’m seeing 40% ram use and 46% vram use. GPU 12.73$ and my frame rate is a horrible 3.25. I have no lights in the model. Only trees and shrubs, a sketchup model and 1 sketchup model that consists of one single plane.

Hi, have you tried in the properties, there is the possibility of increasing the speed to carry out the rendering. Just turn it on with a click and it turns blue

1 Like

Please try to restart your D5 as admin and if this not helps, send your log file to us. This post shows how to collect logs. D5 Support Tool - Get Help / Tech Support - D5 RENDER FORUM

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I had started D5 as admin and then rebooted several times but with no luck. I had a large single plane in the file with water material assigned so I started thinking maybe it was that. I deleted from the project but no change still.

I had assigned grass materials to several of the surfaces of the model. I switched those to just a regular material map for ground texture instead of the blades of grass and of course that fixed my issue. The question now is…what is the maximum allowed (for practical purposes) size of geometry that a user can expect to apply grass texture to and still be somewhat efficient at rendering? In the past I’ve applied grass without much thought and have not had issues. This model however is quite large in surface area (though VERY low in poly count).

Same scenes now show GPU 6.64%, VRAM 24.32%, RAM 14.96% and FPS 56.92

I will mark this one up as a rookie mistake though I’ve been using D5 for over a year now. Haha!

Crashes/Restarts/Fails to Load - Get Help / How to - D5 RENDER FORUM
I think this post may help you, you can check your crash issue refer to it and I suggest that you share your log with us, thus we can check what cause your crash.

I sent one of the log files via email today but realized now that there should be others included…I will email a Dropbox link shortly that contains the zziplog.zip file

Sent the zziplog.zip file via dropbox to the support@d5techs.com In the meantime I tried the same project files on another PC here in my office and the project seems to work without any issues. That pc is running an older RTX3090 24GB card. Not sure what the issue is with my main PC but hopefully you can give me some insight from reading the log files I sent. Thank you!

I checked your logs and I think there is nothing wrong with your video card. Have you checked your power supply? Insufficient power supply wattage can also cause flashing. Also, do you have cpu overclocking turned on, if so, you can try turning it off and test again. In addition, please pay attention to your memory speed, if it is too high, you can adjust it down appropriately.

Power supply is an EVGA 1600. I do not have any CPU overclocking on nor do I have any overclocking on my RAM. Automatic settings for RAM currently and no XMP enabled. I opened the file this morning and was able to work for about 20 minutes before the computer became unresponsive for a moment (could still move my cursor on the screen but clicking on anything would result in no action). After about 30 seconds or so in “hang mode” the D5 window just closes and then everything else is working as normal. Not sure what to do from here. I ran this project on another PC yesterday without any issues for about 60 minutes.

I should maybe have started a new thread as my crashes in D5 and this project are not happening only when rendering start. This is happening while working in the editor. I can be doing something as simple as flying around the scene to setup views or during placement of plants or even editing materials. It seems to happen at random and without warning.

I also have version 2.4 installed on this PC. Is it possible that there is some corrupt file(s) or something going on? Should I uninstall both versions of D5 and then do a fresh install of 2.6? I’m grasping at straws here…I’m not able to work efficiently and I can’t figure out what is going on.

Normally, having several different versions of D5 on one computer at the same time won’t cause a flashback. But I would suggest you to try to reinstall D5 completely. You can delete these folders with d5 prefix under personal folder in C drive and reinstall it.
fbcfffd5a89995cb731599bc3d535398

Also, if you are willing, we can provide remote support for you (on weekdays, 10.00 am-18.00 pm HKT).

Regarding the removal of folders…should uninstall D5 or just delete the folders you list above? Sorry if that’s a dumb question…

Remote support? Can you send me an email or something with more details? I’m interested.

Hi! We are glad to help you through remote support. Which time is convenient for you?

I want to uninstall version 2.4 and 2.6 but would like to retain my library favorites and my custom material library that I’ve setup. How do I do that?

Ok, so I uninstalled 2.4 and 2.6 completely. Rebooted. Installed 2.6 only and in the default location. Launched the program after install and opened my project. Worked to add some grass asset models from the online library. Added about 6 assets and in the middle of working the screen froze and then D5 exited after a few seconds. I have to find a solution to this problem. I am not able to work at all.

I would like to get remote help at 10am HKT

Sorry for my late reply! Do you have time for remote support this afternoon (HKT)?

10 am HKT is 9pm my time. I can meet during your day but I would like schedule a time so that I’m not just hanging around. Is there a day and time that work best for you? Feel free to message me directly or email me if you’d like. I would like to get a time setup though.

You can choose a time that works best for you within the time frame we can offer our services.