Revit and Rhino Model Coordinates/Location Do Not Match in D5

Dear D5,

I ran into this problem that my Rhino and Revit model do not match their location when synced into D5, they are 90 degree rotated compare to each other.

The Rhino model and Revit model match each other’s location themselves. Meaning the Rhino model is a direct export from Revit, I also tried using Rhino.Inside.Revit to directly bring Revit model into Rhino. No matter what, when syncing into D5, they are rotated 90 degree from each other.

I am using Revit to create site model and using rhino to do architecture.
The workaround now is to rotate my rhino model 90 degree.
But this is problematic, since the real location between Rhino and Revit is rotated, then all any files (CAD, 3ds,obj ,etc) created from Rhino will be 90 degree rotated apart compared to elements created from Revit. Even though they match location in D5.

This can be easily recreated so no original files are uploaded. I am using Revit 2023 and Rhino 8. But I assume this is a universal problems across all versions.

Hopefully this can be fixed soon, thank you!

Hello, thank you for your feedback. Could you describe in detail the process you did to sync your model to D5? Did you import the revit model into rhino and then into D5, or did you import the revit and rhino models into D5 separately, and did you import your rhino model directly into D5 or through the sync plugin for rhino into D5?

I think this website may also help you.
Why do models become displaced after replacement/update? | User Manual (d5render.com)

Hi Luna,

Sorry I was travelling. Thanks for your message.
I did not import model into D5, I always use sync.

I brought my Revit site model into D5 through sync.
Then I brought my Rhino building model into D5 through sync.

Even though my Revit and Rhino model match their location (xyz coordinate). They are 90 degree rotated apart from each other when synced into D5.

I read Chinese so I found similar issue on D5 Chinese forum as well, and someone from the team answered that they need to look into this. I think it should be a easy fix from D5 side, prob some x or y axis misaligned between different software.

Let me know if you have better ideas. thank you!

Thank you for your reply.
Did your model rotate after the first sync? Or did it rotate when it was updated afterwards?
Also, if you can record a video of your sync process maybe it will help us fix this issue.
Hope you have a nice trip. You can reply me when you have time.
D5 is a left-handed coordinate system and rhino is a right-handed coordinate system. It may be that this is causing your problem.

Thank you Luna,

I can find several similar threads in both English and Chinese D5 forum.
Here is another post which share the same problem.

It seems that the problem is due to the left-hand right-hand coordinate system issue.
This post was back in April 22, it’s been 2 years and I wonder if there is plan to optimize this issue.

Coordinate mismatch is very inconvenient for render workflow which use multiple software, and one of D5 advantage is that multiple software’s model can all be imported into one D5 file. And this bug is taking this D5 advantage away. It would be nice if this can be fixed soon.

I can record a video later and upload here.

Best,
Yulong

Thank you very much for your feedback. It is indeed an inconvenience. We do have an optimisation plan for the coordinate system. We will postpone better plugins afterwards.