Hard shadows on "terrains" / bug?

D5 Render Version: 2.4.0.1034
Graphics Card:RTX 3090
Driver Version:528.49

Hello,

I am thinking of switching from Lumion12.5 to D5. While testing D5 I noticed now that the shadows of the sun on a modeled “terrain” are very hard. Increasing the radius of the sun makes it a little better, but it still doesn’t make the shadows look really good. Regardless, I don’t want the shadows to be set so soft. I used SketchUp to model the “terrain” and smoothed the edges to the max.

Unfortunately, that didn’t lead to any improvement either.

I’m not sure if this is a bug or there is a setting to fix the problem that I don’t know yet?

sun disk radius 0

sun disk radius 5

sun disk radius 10

HDRI with sun

HDRI without sun

In the forum I found an older post describing the same problem:

However, the post was not answered for all to read.

Does anyone have any ideas and can help? :flushed:

Hi mate, thanks for posting here. From the picture, it seems that D5 does not recognize that area of smooth edges very well. Can you send the model file to support@d5techs.com for testing?
If you do not smooth the edges to the max, will the problem be solved?
Also, you import the model into D5 directly, or use D5 Converter for SketchUp?

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for your answer.

Regardless of how much I smooth the edges, I don’t see any difference in the final render. It also doesn’t matter if I import the model directly into D5 or use the converter.

I will send you the SketchUp file.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Hello Oliver,

I sent you the model in Sketchup format over a week ago. Could you do something with the file and find out where the problem is? Is this a faulty setting of mine, or is it due to D5 itself? Of course I would be very happy about an answer…

Thanks a lot
Philipp

Hi Phil, sorry for the late reply, we looked into the file you sent and may optimize this part in future. For now, you can try this free plugin in SketchUp Extension Warehouse:
Soap Skin & Bubble | SketchUp Extension Warehouse

This can better model curves in SketchUp then send them to D5 Render.

Besides, we opened the skp file you sent last time, and found that the second one is better than the first one. (It seems they are not modeled in the same way in SketchUp)

Could you let us know how you modeled the second one which looks more softened?