D5 Laptop performance / recommendation

How is D5 Render working in laptops? I am planning to buy a new laptop and I would like to make sure that I would be able to use D5 Render with laptop. Do you think that these specs are enough for rendering?

If I have understood correct this laptop should at least perform better than my current old desktop computer with GTX 1060.

Lenovo ThinkBook 16p G2:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H 3,2 - 4,4 GHz, 8 cores, Passmark: 21345
GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3060 Laptop GPU
Memory: 16 GB

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkBook-16p-in-laptop-review-A-crowd-pleaser-if-you-re-ready-for-some-compromises.560656.0.html

Another one I have been considering:

LENOVO LEGION 5 15ACH6H R5
CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 5600H
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 6 GB
Memory: 16 GB

https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/Legion/Lenovo_Legion_5_15ACH6H/Lenovo_Legion_5_15ACH6H_Spec.pdf

16 GB memory is really not enough, at least 32 GB, better 64 GB
In addition, it should be RTX,
so my minimum suggestion:

An Intel i7 12700 processor (or better) and an Nvidia RTX 3060 with 12GB VRam… You could pick a faster 3070, but it only has 8GB VRam. I would prefer the RTX 3060 with its 12 GB … … the alternative is a 3080 much cheaper.
I would recommend AT LEAST 32 GB of storage, but I’d prefer to go for 64 if the budget allows.
For storage, I would keep the 512GB SSD for Windows and all other apps (C drive), but add a second 2TB hard drive to store all my files (D drive).

VERY IMPORTANT 2 monitors with DisplayPort so you can work with 2 monitors in the office or at home

For even more performance and budget check out the Nvidia website:

Hello, the two laptops have similar configurations, and both of them should support D5 Render.
The first one with AMD Ryzen 7 5800H would be a little faster.

Besides, 16GB RAM may be not enough. You can upgrade it to 32 or 64 GB.

Hi, does D5 will able to run on e-Gpu?

Hello, we do not recommend it, but I know that some users use e-GPU to run D5 with no problem.

Hello Oliver.J, I want to ask for graphic card requirement. In your website mention we can using AMD RX 6xxx XT series, if I buy Laptop with AMD RX 6xxx series without XT is it working or not?

Hello, it should work. And if it cannot pass the hardware test of D5 Render, please check this topic to bypass that.
Bypass D5 Benchmark test | Use D5 Render with Titan X - Get Help / How to - D5 RENDER FORUM

RTX 3060 Laptop GPU with only 75W TDP and 6GB on the ThinkBook it’s not a good choice.
Legion has 130W TDP, it’s already better.

rtx 3070 or higher with 8GB it will be better.

Thanks for all the comments. I finally bought the Lenovo Legion 5 Pro Laptop (i5-12500H / 16 GB / RTX 3060 6 GB with max GPU power 140W) and D5 seems to run well with this laptop. I am rendering mostly simple indoor scenes so these specs seems to good enough for my purpose right now.

1 Like

Worth mentioning,

That GPU versions for laptops are downgraded versions of their full siblings (desktop ones). So if you plan to get a laptop with an RTX 3070 you are actually getting something less in performance let’s say a 3060TI.

They do this compromises in order to put this powerful GPUs in such small spaces.

If you can afford it, go always for a desktop PC,
Since using your GPU heavily will also impact in other components of your laptop due to the heat and stress generated by the GPU.

Not to mention that desktop PCs can be upgraded in the future as you go along, let’s say you can invest in a good GPU and Processor as a starting point, later on you can upgraded your HDD for an SSD or even a NVME, also you can start with a single Dimm of 16GB of ram, and as you go along the way buy more RAM till you reach the optimum 64GB of RAM.

Best,
Julio

Hello, will d5 render work properly in asus zephyrus g14 2022 model? It is a 14 inch laptop with AMD ryzen 6900hs CPU and GPU Radeon Rx 6800s (8gb Vram). I did some research that it doesn’t support ray tracing which d5 highly recommend and AMD graphics card are not well known for 3d rendering, i just wanna know about your thoughts since in D5 system requirements they mostly recommend radeon “rxt” model and i dont see any “s” model.

Thank you for any response

Hi mate, it should support D5 Render with no problem (RX 6800 gpu supports D5). But its performance may not be very satisfying for you, considering the thing you mentioned “AMD graphics card are not well known for 3d rendering”. (Personally speaking, lol)

Thank you for replying oliver, yeah having a sign of doubt with AMD graphics card, mostly archviz use NVIDIA graphics card to their render, i am just looking for a 14 inch laptop that i could carry around and also powerful enough to do architectural softwares and renders (you know powerful laptop but portable) , should i look for a 14 inch or should i consider a bit larger like 15 inch in your opinion?

Hi, if the power supply and GPU are the same, then the performance of 14 and 15 inch will not vary very much, you can just choose the one you like. (14 inch will be faster because it consumes fewer resources.)
But if you want to use external monitors, then I will not recommend laptops… At least, choose a discrete graphics card that does not need to use integrated GPU.

I use a Lenovo ideapad 3 ryzen 7 amd Radeon not too sure of the gpu capacity but I’m trying to figure out if it’ll work on my laptop or not

Please right-click “This PC” and choose “manage” to check your GPU settings.

After that, You can refer to the system requirement.
System Requirements for D5 Render