Problem whit mirror material and reflections

Hi,
in some cases I have problems with mirror or satin reflective material.

As you can see in img1 the mirror creates wrong reflections, in shades of blue and poorly defined, and clearer than what it reflects. Furthermore, 2 objects of the same material placed close to each other create totally different reflections.

In img2 the handle, in stainless steel, is clearly too bright compared to the context.

In img3 instead the mirror appears to be correct, this is strange as the same material applied in img1 has been applied.

The last 2 images instead are a test that I wanted to do.
In TEST 1 the room has only one mirrored wall and the reflections are perfect.

In TEST 2 there are instead 2 mirrored walls exactly opposite each other, facing each other. As you see at some point the reflection disappears and turns black, This is not correct, it should continue to reflect.

I hope you can help me or correct these small errors in the next update because the program is really very valid and competitive, but these small defects create many problems especially on interior renderings.
Thank you

1 Like

For image 1, It looks like it it caused by bug (Weird lighting and reflection with relatively big scenes)

Test 2 black reflection I have no idea

For mirror, we use .8 color, slightly offwhite, so it’s not a brighter reflection

Hi there,

the reflection in the background in test 2 is black since D5 cuts off the reflection after a certain count of ray bounces. This ist due to performance issues and a known “feature” / bug in render engines. In other render engines you can choose how many ray bounces you want to use in your image. Unfortunately not in D5.

Your test is especially tricky since you would need infinite bounces to avoid a black rectangle - even a tiny one… Just look up “infinity mirror room” (at google pics) and you will see, what it would like if you had the option of infinite bounces. With every bounce a certain amount of light energy gets lost due to the physics of the reflecting surface (mirror) - so in the end the reflected image in the mirror (at least one of the later iterations) will get darker. This natural phenomenon links to your first test and the problem of the too bright reflections in D5 in mirrors or metallic surfaces. If you look at your second image of the second test right at the egde of the mirror where you can see the mirrored wall, it should be darker not brighter. So this is a known and addressed issue in D5…

Cheers,
Alex

1 Like

Thank you, excellent and very clear explanation.
When you say that the problem of too bright reflections has been fixed in D5 what do you mean? Will it be fixed in the next update?

Thanks, I hope this bug gets fixed

Hi,

the problem with the too bright reflections is still unsolved in the current version and yes the D5 team was confident to solve this issue in the coming update (2.4)…the one you are testing right now…

Best,
Alex

Hi Marcello,

there was a little mistake in my last reply. I thought you are working with the 2.4 beta version of D5. But it is 2.3 - right? Anyway, the d5 team is trying to fix some problems with reflections in the upcoming version 2.4 - hopefully…

1 Like

Hello,
yes I’m using 2.3, I haven’t tried the 2.4 Beta yet.
I hope the update to 2.4 comes out soon with some interesting news.

Hi mate, if you need to try 2.4 beta, you can join our Discord server then check that.
D5 Render
Regarding the black area in mirror’s reflection, it can be related to our bounce times limitation, fow now it has not been fixed…

Hi Oliver,

i would be interested in the 2.4 beta!

What do you mean with your second sentence? Is there a limitation in the number of ray bounces or is it “not been fixed” in the current version 2.3? That´s a little confusing.

Thanks,
Alex

Hello, sorry, the problem is not solved in both 2.3 and 2.4. Yeah, to join the beta, please join our Discord server then you will see the D5 BETA channel.
D5 Render