Poliigon textures in D5

Hi,
is there a guide which texture files (normal, col, gloss etc) should be mapped onto the which map options? I am using textures from Poliigon which gives me up to 13 different jpeg files. Some are logical (ie AO is mapped to the AO option in D5, others are not.

Many thanks,
Orri
Poliigon textures in D5 Render

1 Like

Hi @orri , Please refer to this posting

Hi Orri,

Check Minh’s video, you’ll have all the answers :slight_smile:

No, this video does not clearly explain what he asked for.

I would also like to ask HOW to set the textures downloaded from Poliigon.
The Architecture Inspirations video has several problems:

• when importing the texture he can choose between “metalness” and “specular” workflow" but the materials I am writing have only the wording “regular”
  • already in the first section, the “base color map” section he talks about all the settings except the most important one, whether you have to set “linear” or “sRGB” and what is the difference
  • then I would like to understand, do I need to FORCE edit all the imported maps? Is D5 really that bad? If a person did not have PhotoSHop what should they do?

I use these settings for now, but I don’t know if they are right, I based solely on testing:
BASE COLOR MAP - sRGB
NORMAL - map NORM , 1 , linear
SPECULAR - map REFL , 1 , sRGB
ROUGHNESS - map GLOSS , 1 , sRGB
AO - map AO , 1 , sRGB
HEIGHT - map DISP, value as desired , sRGB

It would be great to have this clarified by the D5 team if possible

Got it, thank you for your feedback.

Minh’s video is crystal clear in my opinion.

• If you can’t choose between Metallic or Specular workflow, you’ll have to find yourself after downloading the maps. Compare if there is a Roughness or a Gloss map. Same for normal maps in Direct X or Open GL, check the direction of the shadows generate by the normal map. With poliigon, the normal are always in Open GL. Poliigon seems to use the Specular workflow and Open GL for the normal maps, as a reference for their materials as you can see with the maps dowloaded here:

• The color space transfert fonction (RGB or Linear) is the blending method you wan’t to use in your PBR between the map and the color, based on the RGB or a global “linea” value. There is no good or bad setting for this, really depend on each material and the result you wanna acheive. Try them both and pick the one you prefer.

• If you’re using the wrong workflow textures, you’ll have to trick it with photoshop in order to fit your software workflow. It’s not about being “that bad”, it’s just technical choices. You can’t use diesel in unleaded petrol car :wink:

For your settings, Invert the gloss map in D5 when using it in the roughness slot.

I let D5 peoples explain it better than me, but you get the point (i hope :slight_smile: )

EDIT:

check this other page, with another clear video about Metalness and Specular workflow. Cheers :beers: