Photo matching

Hi,

Very often we use photo to add context around our design( mainly for exterior views). Can you please add a feature where we can easily match our design with the photo and how it sits in the context/ surroundings. Thank you

6 Likes

Yes, same here…

2 Likes

I agree with that on 100%. It would be often used option.

2 Likes

yeah, we have this plan. For now, you can try this workaround:
Custom backdrop for making photomontage? - Workaround - Get Help / How to - D5 RENDER FORUM

Yes, please, a tool for photomatching!!. That replaces the current sky with a fixed background image, to be able to adjust the model and integrate it into a real photograph.
Now I use a workaround with an external program “Actual Transparent Windows” for transparent windows but it’s quite cumbersome.

1 Like

Windowtop is very OK but it does not really help.
D5 needs to match to “focal length” of it’s virtual camera to the “physical camera”.
FYI. If you take a photo and import it into photoshop, it will

give you in the file info the actual camera data. This data includes a ratio/comparison to 35mm standard lense.
As a lot of other software quite easily do is allow you to then set your virtual camers in D5 to that focal length. (in the example it would be 13mm). Then, with that focal length locked you can then move the camera to the point where the physical camera actually took the photo from. Pan, track, Dollie, orbit and align it with Windowtop overlay.
It is actually fairly easy once you know the focal length of the virtual camera is matched to the phyisical camera, and locked.
BUT!!
D5 camera only has FOV setting. If D5 could simply allow a Focal length setting that ONLY has to match a 35mm standard lense then it is not an issue to have to allow backdrop etc. etc. etc.
Focal length is the absolute KEY to making this very simple.
Software such as EIAS 3D has been doing this since before 1995 when I started using it. Along with many other software apps too.
D5. Just give an option for the virtual camera to have a focal length setting. Please?
Then if you REALLY want to do camera matching, allow camera tracking points from many software such as syntheyes and we can then use video camera matching as well.
This would be a massive game-changer to D5. For ArchViz particularly.
Happy days. All good. I love D5. But I want more.

2 Likes

Thank u very much, we will keep bringing real camera parameters into D5, and support photo match in future.

3 Likes

Little update about this feature ?
I really consider to switch to D5 for our company but this feature is the last condition.
I work in an architecture company and need it so much.
Hope to see it soon.
Thanks and have a nice day :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi mate, Can you tell me the specific situation for using photo-matching? what kind of workflow do you use in your architecture company? If it is important and necessary in the design process, I will help report it to accelerate the speed of developing this function.

2 Likes

Sorry Bruce.W, did not seen your reply.
Usually, we need to produce picture of project in situ. So we use photo of the future location, remove existant building and put our project. With 3ds max, there is photo matching feature, and actually, Lumion propose 2 options :Overlay (Effects: The Overlay Image Effect – Lumion) and photo-matching. I don’t use this last one.
But Overlay is usefull : put a picture in background and we can change the opacity level.
i use it a lot.

3 Likes

is there any progress with this request (photo matching for backgrounds)? When can we expect to see results? anytime soon?

3 Likes

I’m still waiting for that tool too… would be great to do it with marking 3 points in space and on photo and program will do rest…

1 Like

I’m waiting too, the sketchup photomatching tool doesnt match the d5 viewport. A dedicated D5 camera matching tool would be so valuable!

1 Like

Me uno a tu peticion seria fenomenal agregar esta herramienta. saludos

Hey all
No news about photomatch or any solution to add a fixed background image with transparency ?

1 Like