Outline render is not what you see in the framebuffer

I have an issue with outline render.
I set correctly all parameters but I get a totally different rendered image.
Also all the lines are super thin at the maximum value.
I tried to deactivate the super sampling but I loose all the interior lines.
Look at the results I get with Vray toon shader. I have all the exagonal shapes well visible.
I need consistency of rendered lines both interior and exterior.
Also I loose the outline render for the glass panels.

Good day! About with or without Supper Sampling will influence the outline mode, I did not reproduce the issue. On my side, with it on or off make no change to the outline mode. What graphics card do you use please?
Besides, our Outline mode and AO mode do not apply to transparent objects.

1 Like

Hi Ruby,
May I send you my Rhinoceros 7 scene?
I need to get within D5 the same results I get within Vray for Rhino. Is it possible?
I think the line thickness, also if it is set to 100, it’s too thin.
Also the D5 exposure parameter influences the outline thickness. Increasing the exposure to get a full white background makes the lines almost invisible.

Different graphics cards will influence the performance of SuperSampling. Could you please tell me your graphics card firstly?
Besides, normally, the exposure will make the scene too bright, but the lines will be visible. Please check the screenshot I sent below:

Please tell me what your graphics card is and send me a sample D5 scene file to test.

1 Like

Hi Ruby,

I use the RTX2080Ti with “game ready” Nvidia drivers.
You should test the outline shader with a model which in Rhinoceros is about 30x30 meters, which in D5 is equivalent to 30.000 x 30.000 millimeters.
Probably the outline shader depends on the model scale.
For big models, or archviz projects, I always set the units in Rhinoceros to meters, for product design models I use millimeters.

Thanks for your reply.

1. About the line width, I have told this request to the dev team, and they will take it into consideration.
  2. When Super Sampling is off, parts of the lines will disappear. We have reproduced this issue. When there are any updates about it, I will keep you updated here.
1 Like

Hy Ruby

I’ve found another issue.
In orthographic view the outline shader doesn’t work well, also there is no antialiasing, all lines are jagged.

Thanks for your feedback. I will tell this issue to the related team and they will look into this issue.

About this issue, in the Preview mode, when Super Sampling is off and Realtime is on, the resolution preset is low, so you may find part of the lines disappear. But if you render an image, the lines are the same with Super Sampling on or off. Please try rendering images with Super Sampling on and off and check the results. If the issue persists, please send me your D5 scene for troubleshooting.

Hi Ruby,

in addition to the issues talked in that topic, i’m trying to understand how the outline mode and the settings works but results i have when playing with it arent that different. Do you planned a tutorial on that point?