New link model

I am using Sketchup for my models. On some of my models when I connect to D5 render I get asked to create a new link model or replace an existing one. What am i doing wrong to get this message? I don´t want to end up with two SKB models of the same thing in D5 render and if I delete the first model in D5 I lose my textures etc

Hi mate, the pop-up will appear after you change the name or saving path of your Sketchup model. You can “Select File” to choose the model you edited before. The materials should be kept there generally.

I must be doing something wrong. Maybe its the fact I am working from two computers (work and home). I start sketchup, I start D5 render. I connect the sketchup file with my D5 render file, I choose replace existing model but I end up with two instaces of all the lights in the sketchup file. If I delte my previous link, I loose all the settings for the various lights

On the work PC where the D5 render file was created the link works fine, ie. only one instace of all lights. is there a work around to make this work on different computers?

Excuse me, have you ever renamed the name of the su file or d5 file.

In linkage D5, the lights played by SU will be renamed after renaming the SU file and then linked. D5 will prompt you to replace the file. After replacement, the model parameters will be fine, and the previous adjustments can also be synchronized, but the lights will not work. D5 will add a new set of lights, with both new and old lights present. The new lights can be linked, but the old lights cannot be linked. However, the new light parameters have not been adjusted, they are preset, and can only be readjusted

When modeling a project, it is considered that the name cannot be changed in the later stage. When encountering a project that needs to be modified, a copy of the original model with the suffix [backup of the first draft] is copied and kept as a backup. Then, the content is directly modified in the file that has been linked, without changing the file name,
What I understand is the current solution. Of course, the problem mentioned by the subject is that the user experience is not very good in terms of operational logic. Before obtaining an officially developed solution, I believe that users should be able to adjust their operating methods to achieve the ultimate goal, which is also the same.
This logic is a bit like [please note that this is an analogy] sending a letter from home to school, and the first letter is sent out, but the family has moved. To send it to school again, a new address needs to be filled in. The mechanical postman also needs to pick up the letter according to the email address of their hometown, but they cannot get the newly written letter.

Hi and thanks for your reply. I have not changed the filename. The problem seems to be linked to the same SU and D5 files being used on different computers (from a server).

hi,
You can try using a mobile storage device to synchronize from the company to your home and work as a local file, which greatly reduces the chance of bugs appearing.

halo, you mentioned that you would associate SU files at work and at home, i.e. changing the su & D5 file paths.

First of all, let me check with you, the SU files that were initially imported into D5, were they imported directly or via D5 plugin sync?
If it was imported directly, to replace the model after changing the file name/file paths, you need to use the “replace from local” function in D5;

If it was through D5 plugin, you need to open the SU file and the D5 file respectively, click the start button " One-click to launch D5 Render in SketchUp"of D5 plugin,and then click “Replace” after selecting the corresponding model in the D5 popup window.

Hi there, I have the same problem with orri.
I tried to transfer my d5 project into my home computer from the office.
I brought the same file with me; SU model + D5 file.
The original file was initially imported via D5 plugin sync.
So when I tried to follow your instructions, it seems I don’t have that option to replace the model.
And it ended up with the same case with orri that it makes a double for the same model.

hi. I have the same problem with arcjaygaray. Is there any solution. I work at home and at work so it is very big problem for me.

The only thing to do is to delete all instances of lights added in sketchup wiht the D5 exstension and manually adding them in D5 render. Hopefully this can be resolved