Fur rug with volume

Hello everyone. I struggle to make textures like fur rugs with volume and the impression of softness. Does anyone have a solution?
many thanks ans D5 render is really a good tool.

Hi, to help you I’ll give you a site where you can download the fur rug

Hi, to help you I’ll give you a site where you can download the fur rug
I hope I have helped you

1 Like

Hi Pierre,

Since D5 cannot do hair/fur, you will need to find ways to cheat it.

One method that I use for fuzzy things is an old game technique that folks on the Polycount forum called the “RYSE” method because of it’s prominent use in that game.
It relies on creating custom offset planes of the mesh and custom color/alpha maps. Here’s an example for some moss:

And then each plane has its UVs placed in a respective quadrant, with the most transparent layer on top. On just a regular mesh plane the texture would look like this:

But let’s apply it to a rock asset so it has a layer of moss on it.

Moss planes modeled on top:

Each plane has its UVs adjusted to a specific quadrant:

The finished result in that game engine looked like this:

The same technique was used for Shadow of the Colossus:

Granted, it doesn’t look convincing up close, but the affect works well from a distance. So decide what quality you’re after. I did this trick on a bowl of moss balls in D5 and it worked decently.

The technique is basically a crude version of a parallax shader, except there’s actual ‘displacement’ occurring at the mesh level. I would also experiment with using the parallax/displacement material in D5 and also sheen/falloff properties to make your fur seem soft.

Also, thanks to Zenpat from polycount for the tutorial.

3 Likes

Hello again, my colleague sepigraph gave you good suggestions on this topic, but there is the possibility of using D5 too. I talked about this topic months ago:

Here I talk about how to cover an object with D5 grass and give it a color, be it a carpet or a cushion or a blanket, it’s another way to use D5

4 Likes

Many thanks

1 Like

D5 does not currently support fur materials, it may be available in later versions.
You’re also welcome to put your needs/suggestions in ‘Ideas & Requests’ part, that will be more helpful for our team to track.

1 Like

Interesting, I had not thought of scattering grass for fur, haha. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Hi sepigraph.
In fact, I had already discussed this topic with another colleague, who had the same problem, then the idea came to me to exploit the widespread grass when making hedges.
I did some tests, posted it, then used it in a project

However, all in all it can work when you have to add a type of carpet or cushion, but it has to improve the quality, the team is already examining making a type of command to improve the grass perhaps even transforming it into fur or hair or that type of BOUCLE’ fabric.
For the fabric I found a way to use PBR, another topic I discussed with a colleague.
Thanks also to you for sharing how to solve the problem with the moss overlap, I had also thought of this method, but elaborate, you know with this job everyone is in a hurry, but they also want quality.
We are well accustomed to Customers :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:, but also in the profession, in search of perfection, this difficult side is the love hate relationship for this job. But after all, this is what drives us to do more.

1 Like

Hi Riccardo!

Thanks for the tip! Made my carpet look really fluffy. What I did was apply the color to the grass but when I made my render, it was suddenly green. Any idea how that might happen?

Thx in advance!

KoGé

Hi mattias, I’ll put here the images of how to intervene.

If you notice on the right side on the curtain there is not the usual grass material but a texture of an image of a ‘BLUE’ color then with artificial intelligence I obtained the other images and adjusted them
This is the render

Hi Riccardo,

Thx for your fast response!
This seems to be not working for me unfortunately … Also tried to make invisible in raytracing like Leah suggested. I used a plain beige color as basecolor map and let AI match the other maps but did not result in a beige rug but still a green one. Thx for the tip.

It seems like you did get a Normal map and a Roughness map as I did not receive upon clicking AI Material Match. Maybe that is the problem?

Excuse me, but why don’t you post a picture of your carpet with the weaving references for a moment!
Then if you notice clearly there is grass on the carpet but also on the underlying part, the surface which certainly also contains grass material, check

If you can’t, download the fur rug from the site

This is the link to download it and it’s about 16Mb

Thanks for the advice. I will upload an image as soon as I can. Working with deadlines :sweat_smile:!!
The 3D model you send me looks promising but it is not a rectangular form but a carpet with round lines and oval shapes.
When I got a little more time I will look further into it. A huge thanks for the support!

Kind regards,
Mattias

1 Like

See if this carpet is good, and blind, you can modify it as an object, resize it and make it oval, this is the link to download it
`https://www.fshare.vn/file/SASR8IOJDXCO?token=1563439447

To make it oval I used SKP directly by selecting the scale and stretching one side, then I loaded it and added a texture of one color.

1 Like

Hi Riccardo!

Thanks for the solution! But I managed to fix it by going through with several stages of coloring the grass :sweat_smile:

Anyways thank you for your support! Much appreciated!

Kind regards,
Mattias

1 Like

Hello, @riccardofortelli

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and techniques here in forum. Your time and effort are much appreciated

Again thank you for Supporting and understanding D5 Render. Have a great day!

1 Like