FLIKER issue Is it CAMERA SHUTTERSPEED?

**D5 Render Version:latest
**Graphics Card:V5500 24gb
**Driver Version:536.67
**Issue Description:HOW TO FIX FLICKERING
*Screenshots/Videos Description:
Recording 2023-10-10 103648

CLOSEUP
**Steps to Reproduce (optional):Try and make some metal elements as per the closeup image and then take a video from far away.

How to we eliminate this flickering issue that crops up in far shots. We don’t get such issue when using VRay. Sometimes even in Lumion it happens. But even in 2K rendering these flicker issues come up.
Its not Z-Fighting issue. But the issue is something else that I cannot explain. All live rendering software without path tracing involved have this issue as per what I have seen.
Could it be due to camera FPS? or shutter speed of lens like it happens in LED lights?

And this tends to linger into the render video as well.
How to eliminate it?! Please HELP.

HI
I read somewhere, if I’m not mistaken, that it can depend on the fog and bloom, if you have set it in the settings, if so try removing it.
And try the video again, I hope it’s this and then the color of the white is too bright give the color from 100 to 90 or 85

k will try those and see if that helps.
FOG & BLOOM:
Set to zero no change in the flcker.

In the image I see glass, try without glass, in my opinion it depends on the reflection. If not, try to remove DLSS as well. These are just suggestions based on what I’ve read, I hope this will solve the problem.

Outdoor, lighting “with material” (not by adding liner or striplight) gives blobby effect.
How to FIX?!

Recording 2023-10-10 173924

REMOVE CAST SHADOW. Sorta Fixes it.

I know you said it wasn’t Z-fighting, but it does seem like duplicates on top of each other?

Could also maybe be the D5 Level of Detail settings?

If the affected components are on their own, do they still flicker?

Hi, from the image it looks like LEDs under the steps of a staircase with emissive material, if so, then try to remove the reflection and the roughness. Then I don’t know what value you gave the emission, try with 0.5 and give it a darker color than the emission, change the type of material on the drop-down menu. If it doesn’t work, take the light emission from the D5 materials and insert it into yours, make the emission setting stronger or weaker and so on.
I hope this resolves itself.

SOL1: Well i removed “cast shadows” option over there and it got fixed for me, it behaves like a light. but it doesn’t emit light illuminating to other surfaces. The options ur trying to provide will make me loose the material intent of refection & roughness at other locations of the deck etc. And I rather have that over and above the light intent. So will just go ahead with cast shadows removed for now.

SOL2: Yes I dint have the time this time to sit and map a full light strip to each stair like u are asking me to. I got ur intent of not relying on the “material based light” as an emitor but to add a rectangle/linear “light source” of D5 itself to get my light hue. over the stairs.

These issues are never discussed or talked about so im just putting it out there for people experiencing the same. and it would be a learning for them and for me in the long run.

1 Like

No Sir there are no duplicated elements there. There is only one.
My level of detail is set to highest also sir cos my graphics capability is at its highest 24gb Vram. GTX A5500.

This same problem does happen in Lumion but they have an Effect called: Print poster Enhaser. Its sort of like a denioser and somehow removes these banding effects of luvers/pergola/verticle banding of items.

1 Like

Very bizarre issue then. I’m not sure if this can be resolved easily from photos. I’m betting D5 team, if they can get involved, should take a look at the project. It just seems odd to me that it only affects a particular strip of the building. Do you see it in performance display mode? I wonder if it’s GI bounces constantly refreshing in that section for some reason.

Yes when there are close verticals involved and seeing them from a-far, no matter the mode you are in. It always has this issue. Vertical banding.
Yes this is being caused more in the Regular working display mode.
I have the 2k render version of the video as well and still this kind of banding takes place, lesser than the performance mode but still present none the less. I will also give it a try to render it out in 4k mode and see it they still persist.

I cannot share the model with team as its company policy. Hence I have tried to share a close up view of the members so it can be replicated. Through out my years of working with live renderers i have somehow had this issue with all apps, be it lumion/enscape & now D5. I cannot seem to get a non flickering video out succesfully. And this needs to be re-rendered using 3Dmax only as a final output to get ourselves a non flickering result. Making us spend a good chunk of money to an external agency, which creates security loopholes etc etc.

Being said that. Because of such minor issues we aren’t able to deliver to market as final marketting material as well for them to use these as final renders. These are only used as a conceptual video for explanation of design. I keep asking this question to myself as well. Am i doing something wrong here? Why am i not able to rectify this issue? It doesnt seem to be a modeling mistake?

Sorry for the small rant. Maybe this isn’t the space to talk about this. But thru talking maybe someone elses similar woes can be addressed and we can all work together to get a solution.

Thanks for listening. :pray:

2 Likes

No issue at all! This is the perfect place to talk through these technical issues.

I’ve tried recreating your issue, but I’m not seeing it in my simple test.

Is there a mesh file you can supply that isn’t an issue with your work’s policy and replicates the problem?

Wish they would allow sending 4mb mp4 files as well only gif, jpg, png is allowed.
Anyways

Here are the dimentions of that particular portion of the members. Im also trying to test the same without the back. you can see that some flicker still persists.
Even thou at certian times it looks as thou its reduced.

ONLY MEMBERS_WITHOUT REST_1_1

Hi there!
I have been experiencing the same issue in my model when it comes to emissive materials in videos.

After some experimenting, I found that if a material’s Normal value is set quite high on adjacent materials to the emissive object, (in your case, the steps and flooring) then the flickering will occur.

I had a material next to my emissive object with a Normal value set to 1. After turning this down to around 0.2, the flickering significantly dropped.

Additionally, I found that if an emissive object is very close, or even touching another object, the flicking is there. But again, the intensity of the flicker seems to be based off the Normal value from my experience.

Hope that’s somewhat useful! :slight_smile:

Hey Joseph,

So i normally dont have any normals upto 1 in the scene. cos i never need to. That said i have a look. Thanks for the feedback.

There is zero workaround for this issue thou. I am using no metal/lights/normals in the white block ref above but u can still see the vertical members are causing some flicker issue especially when related to the camera movement, left and right & in a 2 point mode (which are generally to preserve architectural style of rendering)

The only work around I have found is to render in higher quality and higher FPS.
so if i used to at 30, im doing at 60.
If i used to in 2k then im doing in 4k.

It doesn’t help much but reduces it to some extent.

Are these building’s height one block mesh stretched up? I’m wondering if its triangles stretching long lengths that could be causing issues. I would test creating a modular set up, so you have the building shape and you stack that chunk up to the height you need, or just ‘slice’ the whole building into separate parts.

For testing think of it as one big cube, in sketchup with default mat, but the elevation treatment is not stretched or scaled if done that way the UV mapping gets all WONKY. They are made to scale and size.

Actual model obviously has true to scale height of each floor and instances of the same is copied above so if u make changes to 1 it gets replicated including materials & elevation treatments etc.

Whatever be the case, i have this issue with almost any and all building which have such elevation treatments, including sometimes windows and doors incase they are close to one and other.

thanks for your support :slight_smile:

1 Like