Displacement not working correctly on geometry imported/livesynced from Rhino

Hello Team,

I am currently struggling with a frustrating issue. I’m not sure if this is constrained to just Rhino, but that is the modeling software I use. I am unable to get displacement to work correctly using the displacement material template with both D5 materials and Quixel Megascans materials that I use. Attached, you should be able to see an image of what I’m dealing with. This is a material that I copied to local from a sample scene, where it displayed correctly, yet when applied to geometry within my own scene it displays incorrectly. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

Hi! Did you get this material from the D5 example scene? Maybe you can send me the scene where you got this material. I will check it.

Hi floatvisual, have you tried changing from sRGB to Linear

Or quite the opposite

Hi Riccardo,

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, changing the color space transfer function from sRGB to Linear just desaturates the material, but I’m still left with the weird warping effect.

Hi Luna,

Thank you for looking into this. Here is the D5 sample scene I got the material from, and here is the material:

Screenshot 2024-03-06 224053

Here is what it looks like at a low angle in the sample scene (it looks fine):

And here is what it looks like at a low angle in my scene:

Just to note, this is not an issue that is only tied to this one material. I cannot get displacement to work correctly on any materials in my scene using Rhino 7 as my modeling software and LiveSync as my method of exporting. I even tried exporting geometry as .fbx and importing it into my scene, separately, to see if it was just a LiveSync issue and displacement still would not work correctly for me. Thanks again for looking into this, I’ve just been having to change all displacement materials to custom materials to get them to work, without displacement, and it’s leaving my scene a bit flat.

Thanks for feedback. I will check this.

1 Like

This displacement issue has been a big one for a long time, its just something they have to fix.

We have been asking for this for almost 3 years so I wonder how long more they need
to fix it :frowning:

1 Like

Could you tell me the version of rhino livesync plugin you are currently using?
Also, if you give the replacement material to a face that comes with D5 or a face from another model, does it work properly?
If possible, could you provide us with your rhino model?

Hi, I downloaded the villa where you got the material, what I can tell you is that the scale is wrong in your setting what you put X is Y value 5, but instead in the villa posted on D5 X-Y the value is 0.7

Check this too

Hi Riccardo,

I changed the scale in my setting because the size of the geometry I was testing it on was much different than the size of the geometry it was applied to in the sample scene, causing the texture to appear huge on the geometry I applied it to in my scene. And check what, too? I don’t see what you are referencing to check in that image. Thank you

Hi Luna,

I am using version 0.12.0.0028. The texture looks fine when I apply it to a simple plane geometry from the D5 library:

I don’t mind sharing my Rhino model, here’s where you can download it:

Hi, it was referring to the scene I posted of the reference image of the material setting, which was the scale that was the problem. In this case you have solved the problem by looking and reading these instructions.
Just this, sorry for the English, I use the translator, I’m glad you solved it in the end.

Hi Riccardo,

Okay, I see what you’re saying. Unfortunately, I still haven’t solved the problem. The image I posted above to Luna shows me using the same material on a D5 plane, geometry created within D5. However, the displacement is still incorrect when I apply the material to geometry within my scene.

You saw the scale, you need to change it from 5 to 0.7

pietrisco

I repeat myself, I took your wrong setting and indicated where you need to change

Settaggio Pietre sbagliato

Hi Riccardo, as I tried to explain in a previous reply, it is not the scale of the texture that is causing the warping and incorrect display of the displacement. I explained that putting it at 5 instead of 0.7 brought it to a more correct scale on the geometry I was applying it to, yet the scale does not affect the fact that the material warps at low angles and does not displace correctly. Here is an image displaying what I’m talking about. The scale is set to 0.7, yet the material still warps in an incorrect manner and is flat, not correctly displaced.

1 Like

Sorry for the incompression :smiling_face: :smiling_face: :smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi Luna,

Have you and the team gotten the chance to look into this issue yet? I have an upcoming project that requires displacement and I would really like to be able to use the feature correctly before my D5 Pro membership runs out this month. Thank you.

Hello. We checked your model. We found that when syncing with the plugin, there is a problem with the replacement materials, but everything works fine when importing the model directly into D5. This should be a plugin related bug. We will fix it as soon as possible. For now you can work with rhino models with direct import.

1 Like

Hi Luna,

Thank you for taking the time to look into the problem. I really appreciate it. I will go ahead and import directly for the time-being. Have a good one.