[D5 Render Challenge II] A portal that closes the distance - Kabelo Mofokeng

:star2: About the Challenge

Theme: A portal that closes the distance
Artist: Kabelo Mofokeng
Graphics Card: RTX 3080
Workflow: SketchUp + D5 Render
Post-processing: DaVinci Resolve for cutting the video clips and color grading
Source of assets that are not from D5 asset library: hdris used in some of the scenes are from Polyhaven

:notebook_with_decorative_cover: Description of the work:

“The entire theme of this project is that because of Covid, my country has been under lockdown restrictions for a very long time and I have been unable to travel to my favourite locations.As an interior design student in South Africa I thought that this year, my studies and the skills I’ve learned would allow me to visit various locations around the world as it is part of our work integrated learning to go to internships in other countries, but all this possibility has been removed because of Covid and travel.

So in my concept I chose to reimagine the Gateway Arch monument, as a portal that could take me around the world, to some locations I would love to visit, and I express these various locations by rendering them out as small souvenirs and sculptures around my house, and that The Gateway Arch monument from the Jefferson National expansion memorial in Massouri is like a portal that would be outside of my home that would allow me to travel , anywhere in the world just by using my imagination. The sculpture in the render wearing a metal mask represents COVID-19 and social distancing, and the man looking outside the window at the portal outside the yard represents me being locked in the house not being able to travel to other countries."

:earth_africa: Location of your scene
:round_pushpin: Distance

I chose to create a scene of the Taj Mahal in India, (distance from me by air 7,979km)because I’ve always wanted to see India,s beautiful old architecture and colorful city scapes.

For my second scene I chose to create a render of the Gherkin in London as I always wanted to visit as it is a really cool architectural marvel and feet of engineering. (Distance from me by air 12,853 km)

For my third scene I chose to do a render of the Farmsworth house designed by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe in Plano, Illinois because it is a site that I really always wanted to see after learning about it in my current university studies, and I find it to be a really iconic, and I thought that hopefully this year I would have a chance to go actually see it.( distance from me by air 14,046km)