D5 deployment switch questions

D5 Render Version: 2.2.0.0314
Graphics Card: RTX 2080
Driver Version: v512.15
Issue Description:
I’ve downloaded v2.2.0.0314.exe and I’m wanting to deploy it with PDQ Deploy to a couple of user stations for testing. I’m wanting the package to install silently without user interaction and alerting the user on the workstation. I’ve tried the /q, /quiet, /passive and /p and nothing seems to work.
Are there silent switches enabled for this package?
Screenshots/Videos Description:
Steps to Reproduce (optional):

Hello, sorry that our installer does not have silent installation yet, but we are going to add this feature. To help us better understand this, could you please let us know, in what scenario you need to use PDQ deploy and silent installation of D5 Render? You are deploying D5 Render for your company? and how is the scale?

You can send me private message directly if you want, thanks in advance.

We are looking to trial D5 for some of our renderings in a department of 6 machines. Instead of having to install D5 and it’s updates manually I would like to save time doing so with a D5 installer that allows passive and silent installs. This will not bother the user on the machine to interact with the prompts. Since the installs have to be done during downtime or maintenance windows it would be nice to have this feature to schedule the install/updates after hours. Also it would be nice to have the installer to be for all profiles on the machine, not just the one you install on. The installer acts a bit shady and installs under the user (without admin permissions) profile but requires admin perms to install the UE4 prereqs. If this can be added it would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Ok, thank you, I will record this.

Echoing @chrisc -

Please incorporate the following into your installer:

Passive install capability for installing completely silently.
Admin-level install for all users, outside of individual Windows user profiles.

I currently have our digital studio guys looking into your software and really liking it, but looking at how the software installs, it looks like a nightmare to manage in a large corporate infrastructure.

We’re running into the same issue with Lumion. They update their software multiple times a year, but the download is huge and they don’t have a silent installation, making it a huge time sink for our IT department to manage even their minor iterative updates. If you can get silent installation options working before Lumion does, many IT departments across the world will thank you.

1 Like

Hi All

I just came across this topic while searching the forum for information on this. Is there any update on when silent and all user installs might be available? I’m working with a school that would like to use d5 on number of school machines as part of lessons and as long as d5 remains a local appdata only install without the ability to script automatic installs that isn’t really going to be practical.

Thanks

1 Like

I find myself in a similar situation where I have had a request from our Interior Design department to add this to our resource lab. I wound up having to push this via SCCM. This is the process (broadish strokes) that I used, via batch file run as an SCCM package. So far, this seems to work well.

1. Install the UE4 prereqs - I opted to download them from Microsoft and just run them with silent install switches:
  • VC++ Redistributable for VC2010, 2012, & 2015 (2015, 2017 & 2019 are all part of one package now)
  • DirectX 9
  • .NET 4 is required, but now comes bundled with Win10/11 so you may be able to skip this. We also are installing .NET 6 as part of our default OS image
  1. I make a D5_Render directory at the root of C:, and use 7zip to extract the D5 installer into it.
  • Install 7zip, and grab ‘7z.exe’ and ‘7z.dll’ from the install directory and toss them in your package folder. My extraction command is: 7z.exe x D5_Render_installer-2.4.3.1078.exe -oC:\D5_Render -r
  1. Create a shortcut to D5_Render.exe, and copy that from my package folder to the public user desktop

2. I use icacls to grant users/authenticated users full rights to the D5_Render folder. (Modify might work fine, but I figured full should give them thew ability to update down the road.)

Converter plugins are the last step to work out as we use Sketchup, and a number of Autodesk products.

While the Autodesk plugins seem to be universal, Sketchup appears to be user profile based for installation (C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\SketchUp\SketchUp 2022\SketchUp\Plugins) - copying the D5 file & folder to default user (& existing profiles) to pre-populate them fixes that.

The last issue I had was the users having to launch D5 at least once to populate the location, as the plugins couldn’t find it otherwise. This turned out to be stored in the regkey HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\D5 Render - so launch, export, and pre-populating that should take care of the last nice to haves. Will likely just script the regkey add at user logon since it’s in Current User, or use GP to add it just for this lab. (Opted to load the default ntuser.dat and import it in.)

Hope that helps someone else.

2 Likes

Meant to mention - there are switches for silent installs on the 3 converters I’ve needed - 3DsMax used ’ /SUPPRESSMSGBOXES /NORESTART /SP- /VERYSILENT ’ while the Revit & Sketchup simply required /S (but the Sketchup is profile based, hence the workaround noted above).

2 Likes

Hey all, wanted to chime in and affirm what others have indicated. Silent/unattended installs are critical. In most AEC environments- designers are not Admin users on their own devices- installs are managed by IT staff. Manual installs are time-consuming and make maintaining deployments across a large set of devices challenging. Difficult installations lead us to recommend that firms not use otherwise capable software. From what @pmorin is-indicating, it seems they had to jump through a bunch of hoops to get the software to install silently.