Volumetric Light does not work

Posting on a new thread since I haven’t received an answer on a different one. It seems that volumetric light does not work properly in the current version of D5. It currently only appears when your light source is directly visible in the scene. I have tested this issue with your example files and confirmed this.

Are you aware of this issue and working on it? The easy volumetric light was one of the reasons we decided to purchase D5.

Doesn’t work for me either!

Have you used Unreal Engine before? It is the same issue with light shaft bloom, because D5 inherits/built on top of Unreal.

The volumetric lighting is calculated on screen space, which is why it’s only visible when the light source is in line of sight. It is not true volume rendering, which is expensive and typically requires more accurate tracing like path tracing.

A typical solution is faking the god rays with transparent planes and a god ray texture, but of course we don’t want to really do this.

I think a feature request should be made to try and get D5’s volumetrics updated to the most recent volumetric features from Unreal.

Example video:

1 Like

Hello, sorry for your problem. Could your show a screenshot or video of your scene?

You can do it!
As soon as you do it right, it works! (little joke)

Bye bye
Andreas

That’s because you’re looking directly at the light source.

But what if the camera is perpendicular? Light shafts disappear.

I think OP wants shafts to be visible, even if light source is occluded, which would be more realistic.

Example:

Light source is occluded, no light shafts.

Light source is visible, light shaft appears. Based on screen space. Notice how the light shaft extends beyond the highlight on the ground which isn’t realistic.

My guess is D5 is slowly upgrading to UE5, which would get rid of this problem I think.

I am away from work for a few weeks so won’t be able to screenshot the issue on my end. I have attached the screenshot from your tutorial video “Realistic Interior Lighting in 3 minutes Ep. 01” that shows volumetric light working as you’ve advertised it. The problem is that when I recreate that exact moment in my demo scene, I get no volumetric light since the source is not visible.

I thought I read in another post that you changed the way you are calculating this light in a recent update. Was this tutorial video recorded in a prior version of D5?

Here is the link to the comment that describes how maybe D5 2.4 introduced this bug:

Hello, sorry for your problem. We are trying to solving the problem.

We did some fixes about this issue in 2.5, but maybe it still has some bugs. l think it should be related to a specific perspective, if you encounter it again, please save this perspective and send us the scene file.

BTW, did you turn on “sun”?

Just checked with your new 2.6 release (which is great!) and it seems like this is still an issue. Has your team checked to see if you are getting light rays when the sun is not visible from the camera?

Im using the 2.6 free version and work as intended

Do you have a screenshot and parameters for the Tyndall effect failure? This will help us solving the problem.