Update model and create different variants

Hello!

I am pretty new to D5 render and I would like to create different variants (slightly different models exported from Archicad), but all with the same environment and materials).
Does anyone have an idea how to do it?
If I understand here correctly only models I can only update models that are connected with Archicad directly (with synch).

Do you have any suggestion on how to create different variants in D5 render?
I can imagine if could update all models exported from D5 render, I could create different variants in Archicad in different Archicad files and then just export different variants and somehow switch between variants in D5 render. - I used Lumion before and I am a bit biased.

Does D5 render have any option for different variants actually? What would be the approach?

Thank you!

Hi tjasa.kogovsek93.
I’ve always done it with Archicad, with synchronization. when I have a new project, and I have used more or less the same materials, all I do is synchronize with a project that already has settings ready, I open the project files that have everything ready in D5 even some furniture libraries, then I open archicad with a new project it synchronizes it with D5 open with the old one and the files will open with the new one with the settings of the old one. But you always have to work there, with cameras because the environment is different.
But be careful, when you do it and the merger is complete, make sure to save it with the name of the new project, in the appropriate folder of the new project

1 Like

Hi, great, thank you this is actually a great advice!
I will keep that in mind, but I am also trying to find a way how to implement D5 render in our current workflow.
In our team we sometimes create different archicad variants, developed from different people.
In Lumion I would simply join all the work and import each archicad model in one Lumion file and just switch variants with the layer combination.
In D5 render, if I understand it correctly, I would need a seperate D5 file for each Archicad file with a new variant?
There is no way, I would import a new object exported from Archicad into D5 as a variant, so it would simply take all same materials from the main variant and I would just switch between them? Or put each variant on different layer and export all of them from one D5 render file?

Ok, I definitly have to test things better myself and see if I am maybe just to used to Lumion to accept different working approach in D5 render.

If you have been using Lumion before, would you say it is worthed switching to D5 render? Lumion 2023 is also pretty good already, better then old variants. D5 render seems to be developing much faster and is more realistic (if renderings from D5 render gallery are all pure D5 render work and not photoshoped also).

Kind regards,
Tjasa

Listen, if I understand correctly, you’re new and you’re approaching D5, maybe you haven’t noticed that when you open a project it’s all a block, you can save it as an object in your personal library, you just have it when you need it to unite it with the 'another expansion project. It also works with the objects you have, uploading them to D5 and saving them in your personal library works like Archicad with object files taken from any site. I prefer SKP, because when I open them with the SketchUp program I soften them and I can change the textures by giving a name to the material, by softening the object I will have fewer faces and it gives the impression that it is the most realistic object.

Thank you!
Yes, true, I am completely new to D5 render :slight_smile: A lot more to learn …

Give strength, courage. In this work it never stops, you always have to open your horizons and always know more to improve. :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

1 Like

Hi @tjasa.kogovsek93,

Currently D5 does not support importing Archicad files with layers. You can import different Archicad files individually and create multiple scenes and control them with layers and object list in D5. D5 currently does not support making different options with a single model, e.g. assigning different materials to the same model and controlling them with layer switches.
But you can save and reuse environment and effect presets, brush and fill tool presets in Studio for the purpose of using the same scene parameters in other files.

2 Likes