Stereographic Cubic Panoramic Rendering

Would it be possible to output Stereographic Cubic Panoramic renders to allow for realistic 360s experience while using a VR headset. Currently other renderers can achieve this.

Hi mate, you meant 3D Stereoscopic images or videos? It is on our roadmap.

Please add a parameter to control the parallax, that is, the distance between the two camera positions. AutoDesk cloud rendering service fails and most of their Over/Under stereos are hard to watch when objects are close by. Same with cube and strip stereos, etc. The eyes there seem to be 5" apart, so, please add this simple parameter.

Hiya,

Sorry it was for images. Basically we use 3d Vista to create tours of our 360s, we are currently looking into using VR headsets, but when we used the traditional panoramic renders, the VR experience is wrong and the scale of massive (nearly twice the size). However we did find that rendering Stereographic Cubic Panoramic renders (in VRay) the scale is correct and looks more realistic on the VR headset.

thanks,

Keith

1 Like

I agree, that would be a good short term solution. The beta D5 immerse is that, beta. It is OK for testing ideas, but not a client presentation environment.

Given that D5 does single view panorama renderings, wouldn’t it be just a second rendering, with exactly same setting, from the left or right of a view, separated by typical distance of human eyes (parallax), and same look-to point at infinity?

Then it should not be difficult to output pairs, Left/Right side by side or top and bottom combined images. Cube faces can be generated by the tour making software. I use Pano2VR for tours.

Viewing the tours made in Pano2VR using VR Tourviewer in any Android headset is quite straight forward. VR Tourviewer doesn’t handle dynamic images, but the tours are very navigable.

I have tours with around 200 stereo views produced by AutoDesk and they are far superior to simple panoramic views.

So, yes, please put stereographic image output development ahead of full interface of D5 in VR. Of courses, the latter would be the cherry which would carry our appreciation of D5 few levels higher.

Hello Keith,

I discovered a way to create single stereo images of any scene in D5.

It worked well. I set up a scene and rendered it in the style I have been trying to get in the AutoDesk’s stereo rendering. It can’t do AO, and it can’t do edges. AO with edges is quite impressive in 3D stereo.

I rendered the scene, then in the Fly mode I pressed the D key to move two steps to the right. Rendered it as well.

You can open them from within this software: StereoPhoto Maker (English)

It will ask for the left view first, and if you name the two images the same, but append -L on the left one and -R on the right one, all it needs is the left image and it assumes that the one with R is the righ hand image.

You can then produce over/under or side by side stereo. I use PICO 4 and can see the stereo image in their native viewer.

I will try my to recreate a portion of my tour with these high quality ones. A bit tedious, but I am sure someone can produce a small script to do all the steps for you as an external app controlling D5 and Stereo Photo Maker.

For now, this is a workaround, a few too many steps, but until D5 automates it, it is great.

Then eventually, we can ignore Pano2VR and 3D Vista, etc. and take the client directly into a D5 live presentation. That would be the ultimate.

BTW, the scale is correct. You can also control the parallax by pressing D once, twice, and more to get an exaggerated stereo.

Thank you Nader,

I will try what you suggest, but would be nice if D5 could automate this.

Thanks

I can only echo keith.hill’s comment. When I create the panoramic photos on D5 and then look at them on the VR glasses, the proportions are not right at all, the rooms and everything in them look huge.
If I create the Sketchup model as a panorama photo via another app and upload that to the VR glasses as well, the proportions are correct. So the problem is definitely with the D5.

So here is my urgent request to you: Please fix this bug and add an Option to render for VR!
I am an interior designer and constantly have to present projects to my clients in VR. Although the render results are great (lighting, textures, etc.) it’s embarrassing when the client feels like a midget because the rooms are out of proportion.

I’m looking forward to getting a notification as soon as this issue is resolved!

Thank you very much and good luck with the fix.

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback, we appreciate it if you can provide the images for the comparison, we will improve it based on that.

I am having the same problem, It is like there is something wrong with the vertical scaling.

@visual-buho @Amaske22
Hi friends,
can you tell us the VR equipment you use and the version of D5? Does it happen to all scenes? if not can you send us the scene for troubleshooting? Thanks for the feedback!
support@d5techs.com

Hey Bruce, i answered via Email with the Scenes :wink:

Greets :slight_smile:
Pauline.

Thanks a lot!

Hi Bruce,

do you have any news regarding stereoscopic images for VR? Were you able to do anything with my images???

I look forward to your feedback.
Best regards!

Hi Bruce,

I am having the same scaling issue when viewing a 360 panoramic render on a Meta Quest 2. Also need the ability to make stereoscopic renders. This is a deal breaker for our company. Please advise an expected timeline for bug fix / feature implementation. We may need to use Twinmotion for now. Thanks

@visual-buho @iankerr.27

Hi guys,
I have reported the problem again, I will tell you If there is feedback. Sorry for the delay.

@iankerr.27
Can you tell me your device info? Also, can you send us the model with the scaling problem? thanks a lot
support@d5techs.com

Hello Everyone,

My suggestion was a band-aid solution. It only works if you look in the direction of the camera, and maybe 30 degrees to either side. A proper stereo-graphic shot would not have that issue as it would meld (stitch) a few pairs so that you don’t get cross-eyed effect at angles beyond 45 degrees from the first viewing angle.

There are software that can stitch a bunch of stereo images, but it is a LOT of work.

Indeed, it would be tremendous if this was done in D5 in a single step.

The scaling is poor because of the lens focal length. If it is off normal items don’t get smaller quick enough at distant, or get small too quickly. This has to be also a parameter to set for stereo images.

Thank you for your feedback.

I just recently exported a panorama from D5 and opened it on my meta quest and it seems like the scale is really off still . Is there any news on fixing that ? And also news on generating stereoscopic panorama images ? It would be a great next step since it would be just be rendering out another pano at a set distance . Our company really wants to present in stereoscopic VR and have it be at the right scale .

2 Likes