Sky mask has remaining blue edge

Hi,

There is a real issue with the sky mask. Leaving a blue border or edge all around plants and trees.

I’m using sky mask to select the sky. Use exr as output, even tried png but is the same bad result. It’s impossible to change the sky behind the trees as the original sky bleeds through the edges, even after applying the sky mask. There is a blue glowy edge that remains.

Even tried with putting a black plane behind the trees.

And use defringe in photoshop to remove the remaining edge. Nothing can solve this. It’s like the sky mask has some feathering when performing the output. Should be more pixel tight like crypto mask.

As for now it is unusable. We can’t correctly change skies in comp. A real issue for me in my day to day pro work. As I’m used to do this correctly without any hassle in corona render and 3dsmax where the alpha map is pixel tight and does not show this issue.
Really hope there is a quick fix for this. As I am stuck on my professional project for now.

Hi,are you using a geo and sky or HDRI? If you are using an HDRI, you can try another HDRI. If the problem still exists, please contact me.

Hi,

I’ve used geo and sun system.
What you see in the above images is in photoshop after I have used the sky mask as it’s alpha. Second image is a custom background I put behind the trees in photoshop on another layer.

Hi, you can try selecting the sky and then expanding it in Photoshop by 1 pixel and then clearing it.

Hi,

indeed that is what I’ve been doing for my current project. But is not the ideal approach. Especially when the edge seems more to be like 0.5 pixels and not 1 pixel. Which is impossible to achieve in photoshop or other 2d composite software.

I think it is rather a question of too blurry compression of the sky mask outputted from D5.
Because it isn’t that logic to output exr and then have only the beauty pass as exr and all other maps are .png

I think that is mainly the issue. As the png is compressed. All pass files should be exr, same for when we output tiff. Not png files. Could you please look into this ?

Really important to have a high quality output. A bit unfortunate to have a powerfull render engine in D5 and weak pass output.