Roadmap is here!

Bentley Microstation direct link

Thank you for this suggestion, we will take it into consideration.

Could we please have more options for depth of field e.g near and far blur amount, or an aperture setting so that we can add depth of field at any camera length. In most other 3D software you can usually set up your shot and adjust aperture to achieve depth of field. In d5 I find that it is only noticeable at certain shot lengths, And when rendering passes it would be very helpful if the AO and reflection passes etc were affected by the depth of field settings. Currently if depth of field is turned on it only affects the diffuse pass, the other passes remain fully in focus which makes compositing difficult. If this isn’t possible could we have a depth pass so that we can add depth of field in post production? Many thanks

Hello Dave, thank you for your suggestions. Both real camera parameters and z-depth pass is on the roadmap with high priority, please wait for the updates in next versions :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Many thanks for your reply Oliver. That is great to hear. Could you confirm whether the depth of field blurines will also be applied to the other render passes. It will be great to have more control over the aperture but if the AO and reflection passes are sharp when rendered it will make them very difficult to composite. Many thanks once again

1 Like

Hi Oliver,

What an amazing software for rendering, i’ve been working with it for a couple months now and it’s reaching for great quality.

I’m trying to develop my business into the VR world so I was really happy with the VR update. I used and tested it a lot now (also tested a lot VR in other software). I have a couple subjects that would make the VR mode so incredible and I also think it would attract a lot of new users:

• VR settings, such as:
    • Quality options high, middle or low. This way more powerful users can present VR in higher
      quality
    • Viewer height. In this way you can change the height you are when you enter VR.
  • Interactive objects when within range. I think this would be very powerful to make VR more interactive, so you can give an element some kind of transfom/rotate actions when within a certain range.
  • Be able to add sounds to the world, also would be great if this worked with range settings. So when coming close to for example the tv a certain sound becomes louder.
  • Being able to create buttons, so when you would point for example at a light switch then you see that you can press a button. In that case you could link some lights to it and so the scene becomes very interactive.

I’m very curious how you guys think about this, maybe you are still working on the VR mode. I’d love to hear your opinion on this and i hope you can pick these subjects up.

Tom

4 Likes

agreed. its a great program but could use some improvement

1 Like

Hello Dave, I think for now, the dof cannot apply to other passes, we will optimize it in the future. In 2.2, we will be able to set the distance and blur effect for DOF manually.

Thank you T Vankempen, we have already had a plan to optimize VR and bring more features in D5 2.3, I will share your suggestions to the product manager. :heart:

It may be adding the drag and drop feature to the d5 interface, for example, raw images from the computer browser directly, or dragging and dropping sketchup models from the device directly. This improves the user experience and speeds up the completion

Also, adding some snap commands will be good… and lock the movement in the z axis when working in a 2d window

The new weather effects are nice but there should be more control over them. Maybe we want puddling only on certain geometries not all around the model. I think the puddling should have options to be turned on as global (like it is available now), to turn on/off on individual model parts depending on the global setting.

2 Likes

To add to some of the VR comments here, I’d like to see stereoscopic rendering. The 360 stereoscopic images are excellent for showing clients a project with a portable headset, or even on a flat screen through a 360 image viewer.

Night skies is great to see on the roadmap, but we need the day-time sky to have some improvements. Looking at Enscape in particular, they do procedural skies very well. Being able to adjust clouds/ cloud types, moon/ sun, types of stars, contrails… It all adds massively to the realism.

Leading on from that, the HDRI implementation could do with work. They always seem blurry in renders, regardless of resolution. This can pass off for a depth of field effect usually, but can become jarring if there’s anything closer to the foreground. Perhaps being able to adjust the scale of the HDRI would fix this?

The vehicle texture editing on the road map is great, really needed. Still better than Lumion’s implementation though!

Sub-surface scattering really could do with being pushed to the roadmap. In Lumion, they have a ‘waxiness’ setting which allows a gradual translucency from the edges. This can make the difference with visuals with a lot of foliage.

The grass optimisations will be awesome to see. Currently I have to use the surface bucket tool with 6 different grasses randomised. But this ends up looking a bit too much like astro-turf. And the standard grass material is a bit too two dimensional. Perhaps if the grass was generated from an image file, we could then adjust it ourselves? Enscape does this and really allows for some excellent grass (combined with a good colour map of course).

2D people really need a behind image, as they look very odd in reflections at the moment

Community widgets would be awesome to make a priority. It will make a huge difference with the capabilities of the renderer. It would also be the only one that I know of that even allows for community mods like that!

More weather types would be nice. Storms, rainbows etc.

More view style types, as Lumion has a huge amount in comparison.

.fbx files importing with materials would be good. Can be overcome with blender and the exporter, just means an extra step.

Support .tif files for maps, as changing the file extension is simple enough to do manually.

More quality control settings for lower spec machines.

Keep up the good work! Really impressed with this software so far. I really think we can replace lumion with it in our workflow.

Hello everyone … its a really nice progress you guys are doing D5 is now faster , optimized , has a lot of nice features with a good asset library , thanks for all the hard work D5 Team

One thing to mention since I didn’t see it in the roadmap which is VR its an important feature to develop and improve on it
Regards,

2 Likes

same here mate … switching my business to VR , the market is requiring it here

1 Like

During my renderings I noticed that curtain and glass ( when applied in cups and bottles ) do not work very well

Hello,

Can the great D5 team consider supporting Sketchup Section (Section Cut) view? Using Camera Clipping has a big disadvantage as view needs to be parallel to Camera?

Many thanks for considering this feature.

OpenStreetMap would be great addition in D5

3 Likes

Hi,
I have some ideas for your consideration:

• anti tiling for textures,
  • mixing materials,
  • separate editable layers for painted plants - colors, scale etc.
  • editing scale and amount of the painted foliage (trees, grass etc.) - like in Twinmotion - ability to add other plants to certain layer,
  • better layer system - groups, subgroups etc. similar to Blender’s collections.
  • better categories in assets - plants, grass, reeds, etc.
  • option to show only downloaded assets and also (icon showing that is downloaded - should be visible not only when you put cursor over asset - this should be visible all the time),
  • ability to change the tint of the plant materials / textures,
  • other output file formats,
  • render quality settings, high, low, preview, custom, sampling etc.
  • camera culling and distance culling for foliage particles and other objects (like in Scatter addon for Blender) - hiding objects out of camera range, hiding objects with distance - bigger distance - less density of particles, e.g. grass,
  • option to turn off a layer from view or render - like in Blender’s collections - e.g. hiding heavy elements from viewport but having them visible for rendering,
  • lower quality proxies for viewport of particles such as grass or trees,
  • ability to change the amount of each particle type (percentage or just ratio) - e.g. tall grass asset should be only 20% and short 80%,
  • texture painting - brush and fill tool,
    -each scene/camera placement should have option to save (individual settings for each camera) the sun, weather, HDRI rotation, effects.
7 Likes

I agree… having a way to integrate more VR would be great…

Right now the Ray-tracing is off in VR… I’m assuming it’s because of performance issues.
But it would be great if you could develop a baked lighting and reflections scene that you can explore in VR.

You guys are doing a great job so far, so keep it up!