Rhino SubD model not importing?

I’ve tried importing a Rhino model that includes SubD object. When the SubD object is included in the main model, it shows up fine. However, if I import as a separate object in order to move around in D5, SubD doesn’t show up. Here’s a screenshot. This is a big problem as SubD has been essential for Rhino since Rhino 7.

Hello! Sorry for your issue. Could you please send your rhino file to us? We will check it for you.

Here’s the chair model.

1 Like

Thanks. We will check it.

Hello! Do you import the whole scene without the subD part disappearing? In this case, did you use the sync plugin or did you import the whole scene directly into D5? I’ve just tested your file and it’s fine with the sync plugin, it’s only the direct import that causes problems.

Hello! We have checked it, this is a known bug and we will fix it. Really thanks for your feedback! And at this time, I suggest you can use the sync plugin. :heart:

What do you mean by sync plugin?
Like I mentioned, if the chairs are in Rhino model, I can’t freely move around in D5. Frustratingly, D5 doesn’t support live sync for Rhino.

D5 Render for Rhino Real-time Rendering Workflow
This web site is an introduction to the rhino plugin. Using this plugin allows you to sync rhino scenes to D5 with one click, and also sync sub-D models.

I always use rhino plugin. I’m not sure if I’m misunderstanding, but I feel as though we are not talking about the same thing. How does sync plugin help here?

I specifically mentioned that I needed to import chairs as separate objects in D5 in order to easily move around in D5. But it doesn’t work because SubD doesn’t show up (hopefully the bug gets fixed soon)

The SubD chairs do show up if it’s included in the main model. However, it’s not practical to keep clicking ‘synchronize’ button every time a chair gets moved. That is NOT live sync at all.

Sorry for your problem. Currently we do not support direct import of sub-d models, this feature is still under development and not yet completed.

Dear LunaLang,
is there any update on the SubD direct import?
as of now I still am not allowed to import my SubD models into D5, and SubD modeling is my primary design tool.
If D5 will not support SubD I will unfortunately need to find an alternative rendering software.

Thanks

Hi! I think this is still not supported yet. But I will convey your need to our team. Also, the sync plugin for rhino can support for sub D now. D5 Render for Rhino Real-time Rendering Workflow