Non standard materials - help with a medieval church!

Hi everyone!

New D5 user here, so please be gentle! :smile:

I love using SketchUp and want to take my models to the next level and have purchased D5 to do just that!

I create historical reconstructions and am currently modelling my local village church along with the ‘lost’ medieval monastary that stood at the side of it.

Because of the nature of the fabric of the building - i.e. ireggular medieval stonework of varying age, there is no asset material for me use so I was planning to use my own photographs as textures on the Sketchup model (after a bit of photoshopping).

I am just a little unsure as to how best represent and render these photo textures in D5?

Any suggestions at all?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Hi Lee, the only suggestion I can make is to use PBR, that is, the texture of the stone wall can be obtained with the PBR method which combines roughness and depth. Just when you select the texture that is positioned defolt, just change the setting and use Ai of D5 which already inserts BPR. To explain it to you, just go to YouTube and watch a tutorial that explains how to do it, but in the meantime I’ll insert it for you.

2 Likes

PBR is a good choice. I also recommend that you can try our AI-generated Material Texture Maps feature.

2 Likes

Hi both,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Can I just ask one last (hopefully simple question) please?

Is there a reason why all my test textures have come through into D5 at the wrong scale?

I scaled them all correctly in SU but they’ve all gone weird in D5.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

Hi, again I can help you in this way, if you have the photos and it is a restoration you have to create the texture of that wall or roof you have to find a single texture that fits well with the size of the roof that you show me, you can do a search of this material and adapt it to your needs. I’ll show you a site where you can do it: https://architextures.org

1 Like

Ah OK, so am I right to say that the seamless textures that I use in SketchUp, don’t tile into D5?

Whereas if I used one of the material assets in D5, that would be seamless and scale appropriately?

Thank you very much for the reply.

Sorry Riccardo, I don’t know what happened, but I just reloaded my SU and D5 files and the problem has gone away. The texture is D5 is now scaled properly, as it is in SU.

No idea what happened there, but thank you so much for the help!!

Surely you have done something on SketchUp, remember what you did with your project, especially with the maps and if you softened it by removing the grid shape of the artifact. then the AI ​​synchronized and mappings were found. This is important in the future ‘remember’

1 Like

I almost certainly messed up somehow! I have lots of experience with SketchUp, but am new to D5.

Thanks so much for the input. Glad we got it sorted. :slight_smile:

If you use Blender you would find yourself doing the whole landscape with a plugin called renderdoc. Everything in 3D I’ll put you a video

1 Like

Thanks Riccardo, I can’t speak Spanish but think I got the gist. :slight_smile: I’m looking forward to improving my skills with D5, thanks again for the help.

1 Like

If you go to YouTube you will find tutorials in different languages ​​on Renderdoc that will explain how it works. I used it for the topography and reliefs of the surroundings and it’s quick when you open it with blender and then export it to FBX or OBJ with all the mappings attached you can easily open it in SketchUp if the file is not very large, if instead it’s big it takes a little time, it always depends on the PC memory. :grinning:

1 Like