Multimedia Video Texture Dropping Blank/Black/White Frames in Video Mode & Sequence Export

Hi D5 Support Team,

I submitted a ticket to support@d5techs.com with my diagnostic logs, but I am posting here to escalate as this is currently blocking me from preparing for a client presentation.

The Issue:

When switching from Image Mode to Video Mode, or when rendering out camera sequences, animated textures mapped via the Multimedia template drop frames erratically, resulting in harsh blank and pure black/white frame strobing across the display geometry.

System Specifications:

  • D5 Version: 3.1.1 October 2026]
  • GPU: NVIDIA RTX 4090 x 2
  • Driver: Studio ver. 616.92

Asset & Technical Setup:

  • Single Stream Atlas: Display surfaces (multiple screens in varying dimensions) were merged into a single mesh in Cinema 4D with a shared material tag, mapped to a single master video canvas via UVs to eliminate multi-stream decoder overhead.
  • Video Encoding Specs: Tested H.264 (.mp4), Constant Frame Rate (CFR) strictly locked 1:1 to the D5 project timeline FPS, with keyframes (I-frames) forced every 1 second (GOP = 25/30).
  • Systematic Bitrate & Resolution Tests: Originally authored at 4K square, but stepped down incrementally through 3840, 2000, and finally to 1080p, testing both CBR (30 down to 10 Mbps) and VBR (10:20, 20:30 Mbps). The file size is well under the 200 MB limit.
  • Material Configuration: Luminance is active, and Cast Shadow is confirmed OFF.

Key Diagnostic:

Rendering out to an OpenEXR Sequence (.exr Raw/Linear) does not resolve the issue. The rendered .exr frames directly capture the blank black/white texture and the intermittent flickers. Because an EXR sequence bypasses GPU hardware video encoding, the bottleneck appears to be an internal issue?

Note on Files: Due to client confidentiality, I cannot post production files publicly here. I have generated a complete log via the D5 Support Tool (support_tool.exe) and prepared an isolated test clip. Please let me know where I can send these diagnostic files privately via DM.

Thank you!

Update: It looks like H265/HEVC works alongside splitting up the canvas and geometries as individual pieces. It was a chore but at least the videos plays smoothly now without drop frames or flickering. That said, I normally prefer to treat the UVs and textures as one canvas if I had multiple screens/objects (31 in my case)

One thing to note, D5 doesn’t recognise or takes texture/image sequence at all even though it was mentioned by the support team that it does (there isn’t a checkbox to ‘read image sequence’). D5 doesn’t do that natively, only statics as far as I can see.

This would be a very good and essential feature to implement for the next version. Other DCC softwares like C4D reads image sequences.

Thanks again for your help. Appreciate it!

Hi @BraisedPork

You’ve mentioned that you have reached out to the support email. Did they give you any troubleshooting steps, and did you send your log files along with the isolated test clip?

Yes I’ve emailed, and had a response. Have also shared a gdrive link to the log file and anything that would deem helpful. It was mentioned in the email that D5 takes in/read image sequences, which did got me hopeful, but alas, that statement wasn’t true