Moving files from one computer to another

Hi all need advice on this issue.

I started the process by lunching D5 from a SketchUp model and then proceed to save the D5 file to a network location at the office, so I can continue work on D5 only (I don’t use SketchUp). Then proceed to copy to my home PC the files and folders created by D5 to continue the work at home. Opening the file at home is no problem, I then integrate assets, work the lights etc. I saved the scene and copied back the latest files and folder to my work PC, so I can continue work on it the next day. But when I open the scene at my work PC, the scene opens with all the integrated assets, but the main 3d model is not there. I can see the layer and object on the layers panel, but the geometry in not displaying (see image below)

Hope my explanation is clear. Any idea why this happened, and how can I move the scenes from one computer to another?

I noticed that working remote, reading the D5 render from a server via VPN, is very laggy. Any suggestions on how to work with a remote file will be much appreciated

Thanks

Have you tried using the plugin to sync your su model to your work computer again? Also, have you checked if the link between your device and your network location is good?

HI All,

I finally got to the problem. It’s very simple. I was copying the files through One drive. It happens that when files have a too long name they don’t copy and OneDrive skip them. It’s the case of the .d5a files generated by D5 under the resource folder. Once I transfer from my home PC to my work PC via hard rive, D5 read the content without flaws.

Maybe a suggestion for future versions : Lime file names to 10 character max.

Thanks all for your help

Really thanks for your feedback! It is very helpful!

yeah familiar headache did not realise until recently that is was a well established problem and the geeks had already got on the case LongPathTool did it for me

1 Like

Thanks for your updates!