Material assignments break after replacing referened model

After re-referencing an updated version of a model, the texture assignments break.

Part of our design workflow is to save older versions of a design in case a file becomes corrupted, or when we make larger changes that we may at some point need to reverse. This means that the file name may begin ending with v1.0, but finish with v3.6 for example. This means that through our design process, the name of the source file for D5 necessarily changes, in this case it’s a .3dm Rhino file.

Unfortunately, we’ve discovered that D5 currently doesn’t seem to support changing out a model and retaining the material ID assignments. Before our switch to D5, we used Lumion which had a similar problem but solved it with a feature that allowed us to save Material ID assignments as a file that could be re-imported should the assignments break when updating a model.

I’m not sure if there is a work-around for this, or if this is just something that we’ll have to wait on a feature for. I hope you guys can shed some light on it!

Hello,

Thank you for posting here. To confirm, did you use this Reload button to “re-reference the model”?

In that case, since you have changed the file name, the Reload function may not work, and it asked you to replace the file with a new model?
If in this way, the model cannot keep its previous materials applied.

The solution is that you can use our live-sync plugin for Rhino, in this way, after you change model from v1.0 to 3.6, you just need to open Rhino then sync to D5 again, and those materials that have been applied will not get lost.

For reference, Quick Start for D5 Converter-Rhino|Sync Rhino with D5 Render| Workflow D5 Converter - YouTube
Download | D5 Render

If we misunderstand your meaning, please let us know. Also, it can be a potential bug, so any updates would be appreciated~

Thanks,
Oliver

Right, I didn’t fully explain the process. This involves Rhino Sync. When you try to connect a different file name it asks you to add in a new model.

So that leaves my only option to replace the model with the new version here:

But that breaks the materials. I am unable to sync a file different to the name of the original file I used with D5.

Hi imo00,
Thanks for the updates, now I understand the process and know what’s going wrong.

In this page, you can click " show all models" , then find the old model in this scene and select it, for example, “model v2.1”, then you will be able to replace it here:

In this case, the materials will not get lost I think, please give it a try.

Thanks,
Oliver