Make a surface invisible while preventing light from passing

Hi everyone,

Does anybody know how to make a surface invisible while preventing it from passing light? I tried custom alpha method by importing a black coloured image to the opacity map. Even though it makes the surface invisible, I cannot control the light from passing the surface. If anyone knows an alternative way of doing it please let me know. Thank you for your time

Hi, Kos! You want to block the light using a surface and at the same time do not want the surface visible right? Could you please tell me the specific scene where you need this surface? For now, we do not have this kind of surface or a workaround to do this. We will take this request into consideration.

Hi Kos

Actually, I understood to have a ceiling and also translucent.
But for me it makes no sense. if it’s transparent you can’t see either, otherwise it’s not transparent or you only see the material as glass or plexi.

Simple solutions, remove the ceiling and your lighting problem then becomes solvable.

Get it. So in your project, you need to make a presentation for your interior design from the top of the building, in this way you need to make the ceiling invisible so that your client will see the interior design clearly from the top, right? Is the project for interior design?

Hi dadi,

Yes it would be much easier. But when I remove the ceiling, the sun rays enter the house from the top which I want to stop from happening. Even if I put some sort of cover from above (which I did in the photo), it’s extremely difficult to adjust the sun rays to only enter from the windows. The idea is this, I want to show the natural lighting inside the house with artificial lights but the ceiling should not be visible in the render. This is for an interior design project. More specifically, a 3D floor plan.

Regards,

Hi Ruby,

Yes it’s an interior design project I’m working on. Simply put, a 3D floor plan. The client needs to see the interior without the ceiling from above. That’s the idea

Regards,

Ok. I will check with the development team about this request.

Thank you so much!

You are welcome! This idea is feasible and we will work on it.

ok, I understand

Take a look at the example videos from Modulus render, this would be another idea and possible solution. Turn off the sun and ceiling and work everything with artificial lights. This gives you much better control of light and shadow… I remember that from Enscape.

That’s great news. Really looking forward to it. Thank you once again!

1 Like

That’s great. I will definitely give it a try. Thank you for the suggestion.