How to reload a d5a model created using 3ds max?

I’m using D5 v2.4.2.1061 along with 3ds max 2021. I exported a few models from max in D5a format, and imported them into D5 render. I am not able to reload any of these with an updated model from max. I can only “replace from local folder”, but that makes me lose all the materials that I have applied in D5.

Is there any way to to do this?

Hi, please use D5 Converter to sync the model again.
Models imported through converters cannot reload directly in D5, because they are two different data sync methods. Mix-using them will cause problems.

For details, 3ds Max rendering plugin for quick animation output (d5render.com)

Thanks for replying. I am only trying with models exported as D5A from 3ds max. If I use the convertor in the plugin, then sync and update works perfectly. But the model appears in D5 as a single object, and I cannot set up layers to manage the file in an efficient way. I tried exporting as D5A from max and manually importing into D5 in order to keep my layers separate, and also to easily allow multiple artists to work on different parts of the file. So if I can get the reload function to work it would be very useful.

Any suggestions for this?

Update: I checked exporting as sketchup and then importing into D5. These files reload properly as expected. But then skp export does not support the group hierarchy feature of D5A.

Hi mate, yes, the reloading method cannot work with live sync models. I think you can export models in d5a format, which can keep one-tier model hierarchy in D5, then use Reload function if needed.

That is exactly what is not working for me.

Hi. Got back to D5 after a break. Hoping the issues I had earlier can be solved now. I have tried the following methods -

1. Live link using the D5 convertor plugin inside 3ds max -
    The model syncs perfectly with D5. I can change anything in max and it gets updated in D5 instantly. However, all the objects in the files are always visible in D5. Hiding objects in max or turning off layers does not reflect in D5. This would be a problem when working with large scenes.

2. Exporting as D5a and importing in D5 -
    Group hierarchy is maintained. I can create layers inside D5 and organise my scene properly. But any changes made in max cannot be updated in D5. The reload button is grayed out.

3. Exporting as .skp and importing into D5 -
    Models can be updated, as the reload button works. However, group hierarchy isn’t supported so I cannot have layers inside D5.