Greenhouse tarp material

I am looking for a semi-transparent milky white material that can be used for a greenhouse tarp. The metal frame of the greenhouse should shine through, also some of the plants inside. In the asset library I didn’t find anything suitable.

How would I create such a material?

Photo of a greenhouse that I took in Gelephu, Bhutan in July 2023

Hello @feklee,

D5 currently does not support semi-transparent material. You can try other ways to achieve a similar effect: use a cloth material (without any Opacity Map) but adjust its opacity value.

Thank you, I’m playing with that!

1 Like

For testing here is a rendering and the model:

Project: https://files.f76.eu/d5/2024-03-14_greenhouse.zip

I am not able to make the material look like a semi transparent slightly glossy plastic film. It always looks matte. There is also that grain that D5 add to the cloth. I would like to have it look more like the photo I posted above, except that the film should be slightly more transparent so that the plants shine through a bit more.

Do you think this can be done better?

As a beginner, I am happy for suggestions! Feel free to use the project as you like. It is just a crude sketch. While I am subscribed to Pro, I made sure that it only contains free assets.

Halo,

The D5 doesn’t yet support semi-transparent materials, and currently uses cloth materials instead, but it can’t achieve a glossy effect. Perhaps you can also try Multimedia material, but also can’t reach the very perfect effect. Uploading a black image will be better. Thanks for your understanding. :heart:

Thanks for the suggestion! I wasn’t aware of the Multimedia material being an option as well.

For the actual render (different design), I played with lighting, and the result is a bit better than in my render above. At the moment that may be sufficient, but eventually I should get a good render.

If someone else wants to give it a try, I repeat the download link I already posted above:

https://files.f76.eu/d5/2024-03-14_greenhouse.zip

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! :heartbeat: