Glow behind mirror in bathroom

Hi there,

I’m trying to get the effect of a glow behind a mirror in a bathroom like the attachd image. I can do a square/rectangle by using a square light, but when it comes to round, rounded cornered rectangles or abstract shapes, I can’t seem to find a solution. I have tried spot lights positioned behind the mirror and although it produces kind of the effect, it’s doesn’t really work and doesn’t have an even glow. I have also tried making the whole of the back of the mirror emissive, but this has no effect.

I do quite a lot of bathrooms, and it would hamper my ability to switch over to D5 if this is not possible, so I’m sure there is a solution out there.

1 Like

Hello Heinrich1,

is that what you mean?
See the attached test image.

Bye
Andreas

Hello, yes that’s the type of effect, just like the images of real world I posted, what technique did you use, does it work on organic shapes as well?

Hi Henry

1- Create a mirror object in your 3d model program
2- Paint behind the mirror object a different color or texture
3- Refresh the project, go D5, and select the object surface you just painted in different color
4- In right handside, material settings, go down for the “emissive” option
5- Make emissive open
6- Set a value for luminosity
7- Set a value for the color or temperature of the light

Done

1 Like

Hello Heinrich1,

yes, this also works with organic forms.
Basically with any shape you can create in your modelling software.
In my example, the mirror has a distance of 5cm to the wall.
This 5cm “base” has its own material and a distance to the edge of the mirror.
mirror of 3cm.

In D5 I used the Emmision function with a value of 0.3.

Good luck.

Bye
Andreas

1 Like

Hey, so yer I had already done this and it didn’t create the effect, if you’ve got other lights in the environment that are lighting things up, does this effect the one you’ve done. I’m new to the D5 workflow so I might be missing some bits or not fully understood aspects.
Hope that makes sense.
I will try again as per what you’ve instructed and see if I can create the effect this time :muscle:

Thanks for sharing your idea.

Thanks for sharing. You are really helpful.

Hi! Please do not forget to open the “cast shadow” option.

2 Likes

Thank you, I have tried it this morning and it seems to work as expected now, might have been one of those little things where needed to turn on and off again and then it worked, much appreciated

1 Like