Glass caustic issue

Hi everyone,

I’m trying to get caustics with a glass object but it’s not working. I followed the instructions and turned caustics on but nothing happened. Any idea ?
I’m using rhino 8, see below some pic with d5 and the real object

I made a short video about how to make glass caustic and hope this could help you.

Thanks, this is what I did but it’s still not working, I have only poor shadows, no caustic reflections.

halo, just to confirm, did you also select the glass material and turned on the ‘caustics’? Caustics’ need to be turned on twice, once in material, once in light.

Hi,

yes I did this on the light and on the material

Hi, can you send the scene file (The entire folder where the .drs file is located) to me or to support@d5techs.com? We can check this for you.

Hi Thibault,

Can you share your scene as d5 format?

Hi,

here is the folder : WeTransfer - Send Large Files & Share Photos Online - Up to 2GB Free

thanks,

1 Like

Hi, @thibault,

I tested your file. I found that if I put another plane under the glass model, it will show apparent caustic reflections. I assume that there is something wrong with the plane in the Rhino model. Please send me your model file as well and I’ll check it for you. :heart:

I ran some tests, indeed it’s working unless if the plan is made with the tool “surface with 3 or 4 points”, weird.

1 Like

Hi @thibault,

we also tested this and found that the plane created by a tool like this in Rhino will be set by default to the opposite of the other faces’ UV. Therefore, that face is reversed in Rhino, so it won’t show the normal caustic effect when imported into D5. Just flip it in Rhino and sync it again. :heart: