Frosted glass

Hi guys, I found this set on sale on Cgtrader.
I would like to buy it but I remember that I have always had difficulty recreating frosted glass.

Can anyone give me some advice after the latest updates?

Thank you guys!

Hi upshade,

D5 doesn’t currently support calculated refraction shaders. However, it is possible to fake the effect using a noisy normal map. Here is a quick test I did to illustrate:

With proper UVs on the bottle, it probably would look better. But this is just to prove you can get something workable, despite not having true refraction.

2 Likes

yep but hard to get rid of the “noise effect” for the frosted even with proper UVs…! I never find a way to make it smooth, so if you find something let us know :handshake:

I suspect the noise is more of a sampling/denoising issue from the sampling in the reflection pass, or raytraced reflections.

You can mitigate this better by adjusting the normal intensity, tiling, and a higher rendering resolution then down-res later for a smoother result.

I for one don’t mind a little noise. Having a perfectly denoised/smooth image makes it appear a little too perfect and indicates CG, so a lot of artists end up keeping some noise or introducing it back in with Photoshop or film grain effects.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your ideas! This is helpful!

Hello! Hope this can help you. https://youtu.be/QPTLw3P7-O4 For now you can try to create a translucent effect with the cloth material, here’s a tutorial.

1 Like

Hi Luna,
the issue with this transluscent effect is that you don’t have any transparency. It looks great for lamps but not exactly right for a frosted glass where you need to have a little bit of transparency.

1 Like

I was just talking about the noise created by the frosted glass in D5, not in the overall image. I agree that a perfect image sounds CG, but for the frosted / translucent glass, you can find perfectly smooth material in real life.

Can you share the settings used for you image? do you have a single material on the right or a normal glass on the outside and a frosted on the inside? I don’t know if you can have reflection and frosted effect in D5

1 Like

Hi,

This is just one material on the test bottle. Here are the settings and result:

The normal map can be anything noisy and subtle, really. All we’re looking for is something to distort the refraction behind/through the glass. It makes sense because frosted glass is just glass that is sandblasted or etched through some industrial process.

2 Likes

Hello, you can also try using the video material - adjust the transparency of the video material to create a translucent material. Hope it can help you.

2 Likes