Do I need the D5 Converter?

I just downloaded D5 and it seems to be working well. I have Sketchup. What will the D5 Converter for SketchUp do for me? Thank you.

Will that turn it into an actual plug in SketchUp like Iā€™ve used for Vray and Enscape? Iā€™m getting confused when trying to save files, about what Iā€™m saving; some are huge 500 mb but Iā€™m afraid to delete them because I donā€™t recognize them and think they may be part of the program. But they are located in my own folder I just created for my images for D5.

Love the lighting in D5. Easiest and clearest to use Iā€™ve seen so far in any program. I can see which way the (rectangle) light is pointing immediately for one thing, very helpful. And itā€™s pointing down which is nice in stead of sideways.

1 Like

Here are examples of what it is saving. I am just trying to save the SketchUp file I guess, and it is saving much more. What is the ā€œassetsā€ and ā€œresourcesā€ and ā€œmodel texturesā€ and ā€œscene imageā€. They are all very big files some 100 mb or so. Does this have anything to do with what I have now with D5 (just the general download) not actually being a plug-in? Thank you.

What is this stuff

Hello RealSketchlady.
First, welcome to try D5 Render and join our community :smiley:
The folder in your picture is a normal project saved from D5 Render. After you import a skp model into D5 Render, it becomes part of a D5 project file (also it exists in the resource folder).

Normally a D5 project file is a folder, which contains these things:
They are models, materials, thumbnails, scene settings, etc.
And to render a photo or edit your scene file, you just need to open the ā€œdrsā€ file to launch D5 Render.

With regard to the plugin, it works for live sync between SketchUp and D5 Render. D5 Render is not a built-in renderer like vray/enscape you mentioned, but a separate program.
You can view this blog to learn more about the plugin:
SketchUp Rendering (d5render.com)
Workflow | D5 Converter-SketchUp - Workflow / SketchUp - D5 RENDER FORUM

All in all, the converter can improve your work experience and efficiency, but there is no problem if you do not use it.

For reference,

Drs - User Manual (d5render.com)

Thank you for your explanation and for the many sources of information. I really appreciate these sources. Helps me understand what is going on better. I guess the next step is to download the Converter and work with it and see how it goes. I look forward to working with D5!

Thanks!

Fran

1 Like