Caustic problems

Hey everyone,

Next week I have one week to make a good impression on my client to visualise a big local swimming pool inside and out. So I thought the caustics are just in time! But there are two big concerns and hopefully someone can help me out with one or rather both of them.

I made a really simple sketchup file to demonstrate, the pool is 4 meters deep. See reference below.

Problem one: caustics are not touching the deep part of the pool. Atleast not for video (and preview). With image rendering it does touch the bottom.

Problem two: the caustics are very flickery at the ends/sides. The pool I will have to visualise next week is way bigger so the problem gets even bigger and is even more noticable, especially because they want animation.

You can see both problems in this screen record I have uploaded on my stack.

Please help! :sweat_smile:

Hi mate, you can refer to the official D5 tutorial of Causic, hope it helps.

How to Create Realistic Caustics in Rendering | Glassware, Be Water Lamp, Swimming Pool - YouTube

Hi Bruce, I have the feeling you did not look at the video at all. Because as you can see, I did exactly what that tutorial did and got these problems. I am looking for a solution.

Good morning everyone and hello DeKoetsier. Have you tried inserting two light sources at different heights so you can cover the distance you need to reach the bottom of the pool?

Maybe solve your problem

Hey Julius, thank you for your reply.
As you can see in the video, highering and lowering a lightsource does not solve the problem, there is a maximum of 3 meters of ‘caustic effect’ in both preview as video output.

Perhaps try lift the sketchup model so the base of the pool is above the ground axis

Hey dsb, thank you for your suggestion. I have tried that, unfortunately it didn’t solve problem 1: the depth or problem 2: the annoying flickering at the edges.

Good morning everyone and hello De Koetsier. Maybe I solved your problem. I created a 5.86 m high tank and added an intermediate floor with water material more or less halfway up. Then I created some side walls in addition to those of the pool with transparent material. I added the usual lights to everything to give a caustic effect and here is the result. If you need it, I’ll send you the D5 file. I hope my help was useful to you. One thing you need to take into consideration is the reflection of the water
it gives amazing results. You can also see what is outside the water (houses etc) even if the effect is not excellent.

2 Likes

By doing some tests I (+/-) found a “solution” to seeing the landscape outside the pool while I am immersed in it. Maybe it won’t be something “sensational” but for now I think it can pass
 :sweat_smile:

1 Like