Can we render transparent background?

Hi,
I am trying to remove sky or HDRI from render.
This question was asked 2 years ago and that time answer is cannot. This is a main reason I cannot use D5 render regularly.

Is It possible to get transparent background from latest D5 version ?

Thank you for your help.

Hi Kwin,

You can remove the sky and the background by using the sky and material channel after you render the image.

Hope it helps

2 Likes

In terms of backgrounds, it would be good to be able to change the background color when not using HDR…currently it is white - sky; blue - terrain, don’t you think?

Thank you for remind me this function. Yes, it work.
However it would be nice if user can just render image with transparent background without rendering different mask layers to compose later. I don’t think D5 really want to improve this feature.

1 Like

Yes, it would be nicer if user can choose any background color without using any mask to remove background and change it to another color background.

1 Like

yes it really helpfull , like alpha channel of enscape

I was looking for this, but I am new using D5, can you explain more detailed the process? please

Just render your image with the sky mask element (tick the channel sky mask), open your image in PS, import the Sky Mask image, and use the magic wand to select the with area!

Beware that the sky mask also masks out semi-transparent windows. I use ImageMagick (under Ubuntu/WSL2) to combine the sky mask and the transparency mask. Then I apply the combined mask as an alpha channel to the render:

composite -compose Plus render_SkyMask.png render_Transparent.png mask.png
composite -compose Dst_In \( mask.png -alpha copy \) render.png -alpha Set result.png

Example:

render.png

render_SkyMask.png

render_Transparent.png

mask.png (generated by the first command)

result.png (with alpha channel, generated by the second command)