C4D becomes unresponsive when trying to re-sync existing scene - troubleshoot?

I have a rather large C4D file that I have already synced to D5. I have been working in both C4D and D5 for the last few weeks, adding to both files, and syncing without problems. Now I can’t resync the C4D file anymore, as C4D becomes unresponsive when hitting the “sync” button. I did not change anything in the C4D file since the last time I was successful in syncing, so I’m not sure what the problem could be.
What is the best way to troubleshoot?
I am able to sync a simple file (just to test that function still works)…
If I start turning off parts of the C4D file, and try to resync, will I have problems later, if those parts were used to scatter ground vegetation on e.g.?

Hello. Would you mind telling me the version of the c4d plugin and the version of c4d you are currently using? You can try uninstalling your current plugin with Windows Package Manager and then installing a more recent version of the c4d sync plugin. Also, please note that if c4d doesn’t recognise the plugin after the new version is installed, it may be that the minor version of c4d is a bit low, so you can upgrade the minor version.

Regarding the issue of scatter effect saving. We plan to support saving scatter effects as presets in the future.