Best way to set natural light scene for interiors

1.9:
GTX 1070:

Hi,

I come from a Lumion user background, so there we would normally add spotlights outsite the Interior room to enhance the shadows and create a nice defined shadow effect.

What is the best way to do it in D5 render? Using a rectangle, spotlight or a object with emissiveness? to achieve something like this:

thanks

These images are apparently done in Corona or Vray in 3Dmax and model by DatNguyen

2 Likes

Hi lucascastro,
Im also wondering which lighting is the best for interior scenes. I am planning to do some testing and tutorial in near future.

I would use just sun or rectangle light.
In your reference images shadows are strong and soft. In D5 size of the light should be max - 10 and good LUT should do the trick. Play also with sliders.

Moreover, geometry of furniture must be at highest level and high quality normal maps to see wrinkles on fabrics.

Do also render in 6k, later you can downsize it in PS.

Good luck:)

3 Likes

Hi F-Light!

Thank you for the inputs, i totally agree with you. I normally use the workflow you just mentioned, just havent tryied the 6k render to further downsize it. Thank a lot

I asked about the emissive polygon because I saw in the facebook page someone talking about the differences in light behavior coming from a rectangle light versus an emissive polygon, so I was wondering if people use the emissive polygon trick somehow.

by Da vi na lus

2 Likes

That is interesting comparision, I am wondering which render engine does it.
I am also V-Ray user and usually emissive materials are generating noise and lighting artifacts and it is not recommended to use it as a only source of light. I am not sure how is it in D5. If I find some free time I will do some testing and share results.

1 Like

Got some initial results and I am totally suprised. So far I have the best results with emissive plane, then spotlight, sun and area light is worst, even with artifacts.

4 Likes

Yeah, I am a v-ray, corona and Lumion User so i gathered some tips and tricks from each of them.

Dude, I told you! It proably is because the light from an emissive plane comes from “every so far in the plane” making many light sources sort of, whereas the rectangle light the light source comes from the center kindof. Thats what im guessing so thus the results.

How did you lit it? 100% only emissive plane or is there another secondary lightsource or gi?

Just emissive plane, there is no secondary light. But what is funny, you can not see this result directly in D5 window, only after rendering. I am gonna to do couple of renderings and further testing.
The only downside for now is that you can not see what is outside of window (because there is a white plane emitting light). As a result this kind of lighting setup is good for bright, daylight renders. You can of course always add some background in postpro or make 2 renders and then mix it in PS.

4 Likes

They could add a “not visible directly” feature to objects and lights, right?

I do not know, area light probably has this feature and maybe that’s why it generates worse light/shadow effects. I am not sure either if emissive material can emit light and be transparent at the same time.

1 Like

I just added to gallery section a render with emissive plane as a only source of light.
In near future I will do comparison with all available D5 lights. Maybe I will wait for 2.0 version, I heard that there will be some improvement.

3 Likes

Where do you put the plane?

1 Like

Just behind the window to fully cover hole in the wall.

2 Likes

good question!

Wow. Fantastic test and idea. I recently started experimenting with area lights on windows, will try something using emissive too. Thanks for sharing folks.

2 Likes

I will try this and put some results. Hdr is not bad, but Sun is worse. I downloaded the Dark Room scene from scene Express section, and there is nice effect with lot of area light, but it didnt worked form me in my scene.
Back to You soon

1 Like

I’m also wondering which lighting is the best for interior scenes. I am planning to do some testing and tutorial in near future.

I would use just sun or rectangle light. In your reference images shadows are strong and soft. In D5 size of the light should be max - 10 and good LUT should do the trick. Play also with sliders.

Moreover, geometry of furniture must be at highest level and high quality normal maps to see wrinkles on fabrics. Do also render in 6k, later you can downsize it in PS.

3 Likes