Apply an object material to an other object

I’m struggling with something that seems like a really really basic function : Is there a way in D5 to transfer a material from one object to an other ? I don’t want to make a copy of the first one (with the shortcut “O”), just end up with two object with the same exact material. Is it something doable ?

1 Like

you can use the duplicate icon.

it is on the right side bar

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, but that does exactly what it’s called : it creates a copy of the initial material, and apply it to the second object. But I don’t want to create a copy, I want to apply the same exact material on the second object, so, if I modify it later, all object with that material will change in the same time. Actually, if I modify the first material, the copy does not reflect those changes…

1 Like

I think the technical issue is due to the fact that materials and objects are the same thing in D5, if you where to apply the same material to a new object, the software will have to merge them into one unique object…

2 Likes

You can select material with " i " (material picker) and copy it with " o " onto any other object. It will keep the same values / modifiers as the original, then you can alter it without changing the original material.

2 Likes

Creating an identical copy of a material is not possible. If you duplicate Material X to create Material Y, they remain separate entities. Any changes made to Material Y, such as alterations in color, normal maps, ambient occlusion, etc., will not affect Material X, which remains unchanged. This behavior is typical in Lumion and Twinmotion, and is common practice in the industry. I am not sure if other software functions in the way you are looking for.

1 Like

The behaviour I’m looking for is really common in the 3D modeling software. In Sketchup, you can take material A from object 1 and apply it to object 2, overriding its original material. In the end they both have the exact same material.

1 Like

Again, I don’t want to copy it, just apply it to an other object.

1 Like

correct this in sketchup. model software. but d5 render, Lumion, TM is not model sotware but render software. this really different. it is build different.

1 Like

Hope this can help you.

1 Like