What's the Best Workflow for Saving and Managing SketchUp & D5 Render Projects?

Hi everyone!

I’m using SketchUp 2026 with D5 Render, and I’m looking for advice on the best workflow for managing project revisions while preserving previous versions of both my SketchUp models and D5 scenes.

Here’s my current workflow:

  1. I create a SketchUp model and save it as 20261008.skp .
  2. I import/sync the model into D5 Render, apply materials, adjust lighting, and set up the scene.
  3. I save the D5 project as 20261008.drs .
  4. When I need to revise the model, I use Save As in SketchUp to create a new file, 20261009.skp , instead of overwriting the original. This allows me to keep a history of previous model versions.

The problem:

When I open my existing D5 project, it is still linked to the original 20261008.skp file.

If I import the revised 20261009.skp file, D5 seems to treat it as a new model, meaning I have to reapply the materials and redo some of the scene settings.

What I’d like to achieve:

Ideally, I want to maintain a version history of both my SketchUp and D5 files, like this:

  • Version 1: 20261008.skp + 20261008.drs
  • Version 2: 20261009.skp + 20261009.drs
  • Version 3: 20261010.skp + 20261010.drs

Each version should be saved independently so I can go back to an earlier stage of the project if needed.

However, when moving to a new version, I’d like to retain all previously assigned D5 materials, lighting, and scene settings without having to redo everything.

My questions are:

  1. Is there a way to relink an existing D5 scene to a newly saved SketchUp file while preserving all materials and scene settings?
  2. Can I use Save As for both the SKP and DRS files without breaking the model synchronization?
  3. What is the recommended workflow for managing multiple project revisions in SketchUp and D5 Render?

I’d really appreciate any advice or examples of how others manage this workflow.

Thanks in advance!