VR Beta in D5 Render 2.1

VR Beta in D5 Render 2.1

I have been testing the VR in different scenes with my Oculus Rift S, I also have the HP Reverb 2, but since there is no direct setup for D5 I don’t want to try these glasses for now.

These are my comments:

The VR is very good and Smooth with my Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti, except for two of the 20 scenes I tried, with some delay in loading the image when I move within the scene.

I tried 3 own scenes and 17 scenes from Scene express.

You have to preselect the VR in the Widget, and restart D5 to enable the VR lenses button.

When enabling VR, the split screen of the two viewers per eye does not always appear on the monitor, but many times nothing appears, but when placing the VR Glasses the scene appears as it should be.

The quality is normal for VR, losing quality in GI lighting, I have noticed the same difference in Image with VR in D5, Twinmotion, Enscape, Sketch Up and Unreal 4.

I think this difference in image quality is a limit that can be improved, I see the best quality in Unreal 4, where the scene has better textures and the lighting is also loaded in the geometry, (Bake Lighting).

When entering a VR scene it is determined by the lighting of this particular one, you have to avoid the cliping plane of the camera to not see it in VR.

The aerial scenes must be entered at ground level because VR takes a very large area and Oculus asks to define the area on the ground to show it.

The rays or beams of light from the sun and from the lamps look incredible, as if we were actually looking at them.

Some metal materials come out black, and it is not perceived as in the monitor scene.

The quality of the exterior light is very good, the plants and objects are seen in great detail when approaching them in VR.

The interior scenes are the ones that lose a bit of quality, especially the darkest ones, due to this limitation of the GI in VR.

The best VR exterior scene in Scene Epress is “A Chinese Style Courtyard”, the best interior is “Simple & Clean Working Space”.

I hope you share your experiences with me and especially if someone has a better GPU and better VR glasses that improve your experience.

JoeLouis

1 Like

Hi Joe

You mention you have a “HP Reverb G2, but since there is no direct setup for D5 you didn’t want to try these glasses…”

I also have a HP Reverb G2 Headsset; however I didn’t have much success navigating my Model as the Controllers didn’t seem to work. Have you had any success with this Headset yet? If so I would like to know if you had to do anything in particular to get it to work.

Regards Andrew

Hi Andrew

I have not been able to use my HP reverb 2 yet because I have problems with the cable, and I am waiting for a replacement.

But when I use the Oculus rift S in D5, the navigation within the scenes in VR is with a single control and with the usual line and circle that you put where you want to go and with a click it takes you to the chosen place.

As I understand you have managed to enter the scene of D5 in VR, but you can not navigate with the controls, right? I hope you find it easy to enable this function, otherwise Oliver could be of help in the Forum.

Greetings

Hello andy, do you have SteamVR on your computer and can your device link to it?

Hello Oliver, Yes I do have Steam on my computer. Do I need to set something up in Steam?

No, you need to connect your device to SteamVR first, then open D5 Render with SteamVR running at the background, you can have a try. In D5 VR, usually we use left hand to control, but you can try the controllers of both sides.
I think things are already set when you first linked your device to Steam VR. Can you play Steam VR games with it?

Hello Oliver.

Thanks for clarifying that for me. Starting Steam VR worked!

One thing I did notice though was that it was very jittery, not smooth at all. Also the Glass Material and Metallic Materials don’t appear correctly. The Glass doesn’t show at all and Metallic Materials just appear as a flat black (i.e. no reflections).

I’m running at Nvidia RTX 3090 so I don’t think there would be a limitation here. Is there anything else I should be doing? I did get a notification to adjust my TDR and restart D5… do you think this will help?

It would be nice to be able to use an Xbox Controller to navigate the scene as well.

Thanks again for your help and I look forward to your feedback. Cheers!

Regards Andrew

Hi Andrew, yes, for the current beta version of VR function, we have some limitation set on reflections and the quality in order to save GPU usage. We have recognized this is not a long-term plan, and please wait for our optimization on the VR function. Besides, to make the scene more smooth, you can adjust the screen resolution of VR lower, I think there should be a setting for it in VR device own settings.

Hi Oliver, thanks for your help and advice. It’s a good start and I look forward to seeing how D5’s VR improves over time.

FYI… The company that I work for currently uses Enscape for their Visualization and VR, but I can see the potential to move this to D5 Render at some time in the future.

Regards Andrew

1 Like