Slow Rendering time

Hi. Is it possible to make D5 rendering faster? In my opinion, it’s quite a slow renderer. There should be at least some options where you can choose the number of samples and quality by yourself. Please see the below screenshot of the rendering process image with quite low resolution. Path tracer with low samples amount and denoiser would be 4 times faster.

My specs: Intel i9, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080.

There should be also viewport quality and render quality separate to choose from. Now if you have preview quality in the viewport, the render is also in preview quality.

In my opinion, particle camera culling and distance culling would solve this issue. Very far particles are almost not visible - just one or two pixels. They very often cover each other. Particles far from the camera should be visible and less dense than those close to the camera. They should also not be calculated outside of the camera view. The LOD system is not enough in these type of scenes with lots of foliage etc.

I know that D5 is based on UE4 which has quite a nice path tracer. Devs, can you implement also a path tracer? I think it would be faster in some cases.

The scatter tool requires a lot of improvements. Developers, please take the example from this Scatter addon for Blender: https://blendermarket.com/products/scatter

HERE IS THE FILE SO YOU CAN CHECK: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1TV5ixEh-nuFtcNKIpm_Ka0VsOq1A5p4s?usp=sharing

Please let me know what is the issue. Please also Let me know what is wrong with water / river reflection.

Hello, I hope you are more peaceful.
I agree with you, I see from the pictures and a photovoltaic field. I worked with a group for a large Italian company, ENEL TERNA, as a supplier for the design of electrical stations and high voltage lines and new systems. To speed up the renders and movies I used another Twinmotion engine. I have noticed that it is faster than the D5. One of the jobs I did before the summer.
This is the site:

this is instead the reconstruction of the structure to calculate the volume of the buildings to replace it with an electricity station.

Hi :slight_smile: I’m peaceful. I’m sorry if you think I was aggressive towards you in the previous post. I use Twinmotion too but for current project, I wanted to try D5 render as it has more variety of foliage. I noticed that Twinmotion is much faster than D5.

1 Like

Examples of frustum culling

Example of distance culling in Unreal Engine 4

We should have this option including ability to change some parameters. This would be game changer for performance! :slight_smile:

I have placed a big mirror to check if grass behind the camera I visible and calculated. As you can see it is. That’s why we need distance culling and frustum culling in D5! 🙂

I downloaded your photovoltaic files. I solved the problem for you. I did nothing but transform that of the river, that is the material you put into the sand bottom, then I placed a flat geometric shape D5, sized it for the watercourse, giving the material water and adjusted it to my needs, putting it at + 3 meters and then fir I put a HDRI of D5. I didn’t do anything else to move the obstacle.

1 Like

Wow! Thank you very much, my friend. I will try it by myself. Thanks once again! :wink:

But I have your files ready I just have to send it to you and you will understand

1 Like

That would be great! Thanks! :slight_smile:

What is your Mail to send it to you

You can upload it here in the same folder from where you downloaded my file:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1TV5ixEh-nuFtcNKIpm_Ka0VsOq1A5p4s?usp=sharing

It is about to be loaded
Anyway I wanted to tell you that I have the beauty of 58 years, I also have a good experience, but always with the spirit of always learning

It is loaded, good luck with your work :smiling_face: :smiling_face: :smiling_face:

Thank you very much Sir. That’s very nice of you :wink: I’m 20 years younger and big passion for 3D graphics :wink:
Thank you very much for your help and I’m sorry if I sound a bit harsh at the beginning.
All the best!

Don’t even say it, sometimes when a job has tight deadlines, it’s with the client and you want to make a good impression, things don’t go the right way, you’re nervous. I understand your youth, and this made me reflect, when I was at the beginning that nobody understood all this with graphics. I had to learn humbly on my own and steal the trade from others when no one was helping me. :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi. I reduced grass particle systems by 70% and it’s rendering 2k image in about 1 hour time. This is not real-time at all! Developers, please, please, please, optimize it like asap?

I have started a project for my client with D5 as it is meant to be real-time. Now I’m really screwed. I need to render also animation which is literally impossible. :frowning: If I only knew I would prepare the project in other software.

I’m sorry my friend that you are in this situation.
The only advice I can give you and try to abandon D5 due to the conformation of your PC, because I have recently read that there is another colleague who has the same problem, and says that the weed causes him to slow down both the renders is the 2K movie. So the one thing to make a good impression you have to use Twinmotion 2022.2, I know you know how to use it, the principle of both particles and the river and the same as that of D5, but it is faster, perhaps because it is structured differently and then it belongs to the family Epic Games, so take heart, export to Twinmotion and render and make this movie, you’ll get the same results.
Days ago I took up a job a year ago, to change the things that the Municipality had asked me, with this program that I use little and came well, I’ll show you for courage.

Do not misunderstand, I love D5, I like a mess, but when for needs and you do not have time it is difficult to leave the new one away with the old one.
Then the staf and great are quick to solve problems, and they deserve great respect for what they are doing. For me who started with version D5 1.3 it is an amazing adventure, but there are pros and cons. There is always room for improvement in any field. :smiling_face: :smiling_face: :smiling_face:

Hello! Thank you very much! I was also considering moving this project to Twinmotion as it performs much better. Very nice renders with Twinmotion. I will give it a try. I’m considering also buying RTX 3090 but I don’t know if it’s worth the money. However, I know that it would handle this project.

1 Like

In fact it is the only thing to do, this is because times are tight. I will tell you that changing the PC to a more powerful graphics card is always an improvement for the graphics, for many reasons for example for the new generation programs. But it can be a double-edged sword. Let me explain, I only use a machine, a 17 inch laptop an i7 with 16G processor and a 16G gtx 1070 graphics card and very fast, but reading a bit in the forum I noticed that some colleagues had problems with the new version D5, but this thing is always solvable, when you have a great staff like D5 behind you, but basically if you want speed for a technology that is always in constant motion it is right to try to change. On this I agree with you, you always have to change to give your best in this job.
:grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

1 Like