Parallax workflow

I’m looking for an efficient workflow for placing Parallax planes on large-scale buildings.
(box.fbx workflow and .png imgs is not good for me).
So far I have good results but I’m missing some features.
Using 3dsMax:

1. Exporting planes (placeholders) grouped as single items via Export.D5A and importing to D5 working fine so far. (D5 Render Importing Groups - YouTube). I have found a workaround to fix the sync issue for now.
  2. Select individual Plane (Alt+LMB) or Ungrouping All to select Planes working fine too.
  3. Select Plane and Replace From Asset is ok but now I’m missing some features now:
    • it would be great if we could have the option “Fit Bounding Size” for replaced models. That way replaced model will fit/scale to the original plane (we accept some non-proportional sizes ) :upside_down_face:
      This “Fit Bounding Size” option could have separate X, Y, and Z checkboxes so we can have more control over how the Replaced model will fit the Original Placeholder.
    • it would be great when selecting multiple planes (placeholders) to have multiple selecting options for Asset Items too (like we have for Path/Brush/Scater). Some sort of Sequence/Random replacement will be nice to have also.
    • sometimes it would be useful to keep the copy for placeholders for future use, so a checkbox option for this would also be useful.

If you need some video or pictures to illustrate please let me know.

Regards
Dragan

Just to add some more and most important feature: supporting Parallax as Material would be even better and it would allow Users to use their custom maps.
Thank You

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this workaround and the idea :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

So, after a few large-scale projects, I would definitely go with Parallax as a Material or the option to change the Maps on D5`s Parallax Plane. Adding to local after a setup would be a plus.
Thank you.

1 Like