Image VS Video quality - Option to increase 'bounces'

There seems to be a few issues between rendering an image and rendering a video, even if they’re both the same resolution, aspect ratio and format (png). From what I can gather, the core of these issues seem to stem from video rendering being given less ‘bounces’ compared to it’s image rendering counterpart. For me, this is mostly seen in the overall change in brightness, as well as the amount of black reflections you get in video rendering compared to image rendering.

Example -

Image VS Video - Default Mirror Material - 0.1 Roughness

D5_Image_Default Mirror (Rough 0.1) is an image render with the default mirror material set to 0.1 roughness and applied to both the mirror and all the chrome furnishings. Apart from the reflection of the towel shelf in the shower glass being solid black, the reflections are fine overall.

D5_Video_Default Mirror (Rough 0.1) is the first frame of a video render with the default mirror material set to 0.1 roughness and applied to both the mirror and all the chrome furnishings. The image is visibly darker and the reflections of the towel shelf and the window handles are now all black in the mirror and the shower glass, there’s also plenty of other more subtle things not reflecting well as there’s a lot more black reflections in the faucet, shower shelving etc.

I love the simplicity of D5 Render, but it would still be fantastic if you could add an option to make video rendering match the same render settings (bounces etc) as image rendering. Better yet, it’d be great if there was a widget for users to enable that allowed them to dial those settings in even further. Nothing too complicated, but just a simple slider that allows us to add extra bounces to the baked in RT/GI render settings, similar to what you could do in Unreal Engine.

Thank you very much for your test and suggestions!

No problem! My suggestion might be off base as I’m not sure if that’s the way D5 is handling things differently between images & videos, but I’m assuming it is since it’s based on UE and they have individual bounce, sample and other settings for RTRT Reflections, RTRT AO, RTRT GI & RTRT Translucency as referenced here: Hardware Ray Tracing in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.2 Documentation

For cases where the current built in render profile doesn’t quite cut it, and for a slightly more advanced use in general, it’d be great to get user adjustable settings for these. Currently, the black reflection issue is the only thing that’s stopping me from being able to switch to D5 fully for rendering our client projects, including TV commercials etc.

Thanks for the advice, Can you send the scenes to us? We want to test based on that.
support@d5techs.com

I’ve just emailed the project file over. Please let me know if there’s any further information you may need.

Thank you for your support!

Hi @Bruce.W hope you’re well!

I just wanted to check if there was an update on this, whether it’s being worked on etc?

I know I posted it in the ideas & Requests section, but it’s really more of a bug/issue that’s holding my company, and likely many others that need it for video renders, back from being able to use d5 as our go-to renderer.

Cheers!

1 Like

hii, any update on this issue?