D5 for Apple silicon, Mac version

Apple has release M3 now, which supports Ray Tracing. Is there any time line to release D5 for Apple silicon, please?

would be great to get some informations. Espacially the new m3 max should handle D5 Render very well. Thank you.

any chance to developer a version to IMAC PRO (huge configuration) like a TwinMotion??
I have a Imac Pro 18 core xeon, 256 ram, 4gb ssd, radeon 64+ and I can be a beta tester for you!

Thanks in advanced

Assis from Brasil

1 Like

This is much needed

1 Like

Yeah, we also want to develop it and are looking into it, thanks for the support, hope it can be released soon.

2 Likes

Fresh MacBook M1 here - trying to work with D5 under parallels desktop 18 - really sucks. Doesn’t take advantage of the power of the Mac. Hoping that you guys will eventually catch up, those are real powerhouses ! Would happily buy another license if under Mac Os

1 Like

Thank you for your support, we need to speed up.

1 Like

Hello, any timeline you guys have on Mac version, please?

1 Like

Me too! Looking for some support on this.

2 Likes

Hi! Any news that you can share with us? It would be amazing to have a Mac version anytime soon!

1 Like

I will not speak for the company, but I think there are several challenges associated with developing a product with Raytracing RTX for Apple systems, especially based on the Unreal Engine. Here are some reasons why this might be difficult:

1. Hardware Compatibility: Raytracing RTX is heavily geared towards NVIDIA’s specific hardware. Apple systems typically use their own graphics solutions (such as the M-series), which may not offer the same features and performance characteristics as NVIDIA GPUs. This might require adjustments and optimizations to achieve comparable Raytracing performance on Apple systems.
  2. Driver Support: Driver support is a crucial factor for the efficient utilization of Raytracing features. The availability and quality of graphics drivers for Apple platforms could be more limited compared to Windows, complicating the implementation of Raytracing.
  3. Software Ecosystem: The Unreal Engine was primarily developed and optimized for Windows platforms. While it is also available for MacOS, integrating specific features like Raytracing on MacOS might require additional adaptations.

However, the integration of Lumen for Apple systems in Twinmotion shows that it is indeed possible to bring advanced rendering technologies to MacOS. I think the chances of the company D5 offering its product on both Windows and MacOS in the long term depend on several factors:

1. Unreal Engine’s Commitment: If Unreal Engine continues to provide support and optimizations for MacOS, this could facilitate the implementation of Raytracing on Apple systems.
  2. Development Resources: The company D5 might need to invest additional resources to optimize its product for MacOS and ensure that it achieves the desired Raytracing performance on Apple systems.
  3. Market Demand: If there is sufficient demand for the product on MacOS, this could strengthen the motivation of the company D5 to offer its solution for both platforms.

Overall, it is possible that companies like D5 may, in the future, offer their products for both Windows and MacOS, especially if technological and market-specific challenges can be overcome. However, it depends on the dynamics of the technology market and ongoing developments. I hope for apple taking the chance to contact Unreal to have better compatibility regarding raytracing (MetalRay → Your guide to Metal ray tracing - WWDC23 - Videos - Apple Developer)…

3 Likes

Another Mac user hopeful for an Apple silicone version of D5.

Thanks to the last user for the comprehensive post. While this might pale in comparison, I was told by D5 support that “…apart from support for ray tracing, D5 is based on Windows DirectX12 (DX12) technologies, which conflicts with Apple’s macOS operating system.” I’m not sure if this is a dead end but with support for ray tracing on the M3, fingers crossed that D5 will add Apple support in the future.

2 Likes