D5 2.0 license?

Well I don’t want to say that Dť is bad tool/render…its good from my point of view, I really like what they did in past months…D5 1.5 vs D5 1.9 is huge step…but…

It has grown as a great tool in my eyes, but it only got really competitive after 1.8 and 1.9 updates. Befor that was a very curiosity with great potential in short terms. But seems that this was all it took to a change of mind about “creators don’t rent to creat” to “let’s make those idiots pay the whole render every year for the same stuff”.

I need ray tracing and speed.

I want to design. I want to see it quickly and accurately. Not spend all this time adjusting sliders and faking conditions (L).

I am impressed with D.

But there are other options as well. Blender (B). 3.0 is suppose to be huge. I’m sure Lumion (L) has things in store. Etc etc etc.

As artists we choose the platform.

As owners of a rendering company they need to keep customer retention at top of their list. How they do that….their choice.

Allenm…I totally understand and agree…I was in the same stage of mind…and then something slightly changed, maybe one of the reasons was the moment when I paid all my yearly licenses in one month and realised that more then one month of total income was spent on SW for one year…and that’s a lot from my point of view…and another point was when I started to use new Apple M1 chip MacBook Air all day for my work /CAD drawings, Sketchup modeling,…/ I did some “test” renders the same scene in Vray, D5, Twinmotion and Enscape, showed to my wife and some friends and all of them said that some are nicer or better, but each of the pictures no matter what render I used was ok also for clients…I do understand that we /meaning professionals can see the difference between GI, light distribution, material reflection, normal mapping,…etc/ but most of my clients are ok with the basic “render” from Twinmotion for example…so for me is more important to work fluent whole day anywhere then to have “the best renderer”…Therefore for me I started to focus on renderers for MacOS /still have the Win workstation with RTX/ but I was really shocked with this email from D5 …just to explain I’m architect and almost always are the renders just free bonus for clients on just to describe the idea of project…I’m not that pro CG artist that I do renders as my core job and I don’t do renders for other architects or clients…

It is weekend and the office is closed!

That is very different, but as a rule customers want high-quality (Corona, Vray) graphics because they are informed and know what is going on in the market. Especially in the real estate market.
One more reason why I advocate good photorealism and not content or gimmicks.

Sorry to disagree here, but renting a software is not an option, it is an abuse of your cliente. The only reason ppl go with it is because this move was applied by software that had the monopoly in it’s segment. Otherwise there wouldn’t ever exist such abomination.
It is like D5 team itself claimed “creators shouldn’t pay rent to creat”, musicians do not rent their instruments, painters do not rent their brushes, this is ridiculous. No company doing that should ever get a slight of chance to perceive.
Revit and autocad were monopolies in each segment, even so the rental model made a huge amount of base users migrate, and even those who were confortable in tradicional Autodesk finally made the bim jump… But to ArchiCAD, just to get away from idiots in charge of licensing models from Autodesk.
While renting stuff like a car makes sense, since it gives you lots of costs every year to maintain it, software itself do not need maintenance other than the developer itself creates (I am looking at you online only assets menu).

1 Like

I am with Tom on that one. Only big incorporators and investors really need the top of the art render. Most residence or small business clients don’t notice the difference between a good twinmotion model and a medium vray one. They can’t really tell about that great reflex on mirrors or real bouncing lights from fake ones.

But even when they do… There option outside D5 render, not really worried about that. Thanks God we are getting more and more use for our rt ready cards.

1 Like

The original post happened yesterday…,

Im hoping that the 480 promise holds true!!

1 Like

anyway, that’s just my point of view…
and yes Im glad that D5 is on the “new wave” of realtime rendering, I remember my first 3D model…it was back in 1992-93 and it was lineart 3D model in Spirit CAD which you install from 5,25" disk…anyway its great to have tools like D5 /RT rendered/ and D5 grew up very fast /with all the pros and cons of fast growth/ and as far as I know its bunch of young people behind it, but its not the only one on the market, not even monopol, and seems to me /Im not marketing expert/ that shifting from perpetual to annual/monthly is not very good decision for them…Vray-monthly-annual-perpetual, Lumion-perpetual, Enscape-monthly-annual, Twinmotion-perpetual,…etc but these all are well known render engines with some history and user base…I expect that user base and size of D5 team are not that big…from the very beginning I took D5 as a family /meaning users+team/ and I wrote it also somewhere here on the forum, but changing of licensing seems to me like betrayal…anyway we will see what the D5 team will say…

2 Likes

Flamingo, and that’s it…weekend…Im expecting that somebody is even checking the official forum 24/7…at least Jessie…I remember,ber times when I was something like referenced user of Maxon Cinema 4D in Central Europe and I had support email,ICQ,phone…instant…and also with Vray…gouys gave me response in few hours…not days…and lets be true to ourselves…who is not working through the weekend among us? /I need to finish 3d model of big gym tomorrow so spent at least 8 hours working during Sunday/

2 Likes

Well honestly, when I compare your results with mine…its like heaven and hell…and I do understand that there are some /few, a lot?/ markets/situations where the photorealism is needed or expected but most of my clients are satisfied with Twinmotion quality /don’t want to be rude to Twinmotion, but you know what I mean…/ and they see the diference only when they can compare same scenes with different renderers…and I do believe that you can achieve similar or almost similar results with almost all rendering engines its just question of your knowledge/effort/time…and therefore the RT rendering engines are so popular these days, because they brought “good pictures” to the masses of creators and also clients…so the clients are expecting the “photorealism” but from my point of view its “fault” on both sides…designers/artist/… wants to present the best of the best and the client expect the whole world for a penny

1 Like

It sure won’t cost a penny i team chooses the rental/hostage situation, except from the teenagers that will use pirate/cracked versions. And if it become a rental only… I won’t blame the little bastards for doing it. It is an extreme response to an abusive decision. This shouldn’t even be legal.

1 Like

Hi guys
Another point of view
But I don’t see it that dark, we should wait until what the 5d team thinks about it. When I read all the wishes & requests that some people have.
I am very surprised that it is implemented or can be found in the roadmap. I don’t know any company can work for free all my life.
Sure, D5 wrote that.

But please all of you earn money with it.
Nobody works non-profit and unpaid. This notion seems a bit naive to me.
Those people who still work with other programs know exactly how much extra you have to pay for updates.
A good program like D5 can only be developed if we collectively contribute to the costs. You could give a special discount for those who have the life-length versions, because they helped make D5 what it is today
The worse would be to receive an email that D5 will stop developing because nobody wants to pay.

Keep in mind. IM HERE BECAUSE of that PROMISE. The oldest sales tactic ever. Bait and switch.

I’ve invested serious time learning D. And buying assets. My library is over 1k models. Textures growing by the day. All D5 exclusive. So not like I can just throw them in L, B, T, E, etc etc.

2 Likes

yes, you’re right, just wait for the official statement…

and well I earn money /nowadays I don’t use D5/ but I don’t earn doing renders…but that’s not the point…the point is that they made a promise/statement and we all bought D5 /, as far as I know, I paid the exact sum which they asked for/ …I dont have a problem to spend money on tools which I’m using and it doesn’t matter if it is car, phone, RTX card or software…but I can’t imagine to obtain email from Nvidia: dear customer, thank you very much for buying our RTX 3080, from next driver update you will be charged monthly or annualy…

4 Likes

Hi there, no need to worry. I think this sentence should be clear:

*Note: D5 users with lifetime Pro licenses will not be affected by any price changes - they can upgrade for free and access all the Pro features.

1. If you have purchased Pro license before we switching to rental licensing(the end of September), you do not need to pay more money to buy monthly/annual subscriptions.
  2. We switch to subscription plan because it is more appropriate, and this does not mean we will break our promise to users who have been lifetime PRO.

I have seen many discussions on this :sweat_smile: Friends, no need to worry about this.
One more thing I want to confirm with you is that, whether our statement is not clear? will this sentence cause any misunderstanding? If yes, I may need to talk with the translator, and we will avoid this kind of problem next time.

Thanks,
Oliver

7 Likes

Yes sir, you will not be charged any more because you have paid 480$. We really appreciate your support at our beginning!

4 Likes

Yes, I totally agree