Glass frosted effect D5 2.3

:handshake:

great job

It looks great, can you share the settings?

I want to know the settings too

Hi all! @paperless shared the settings with me before, because I will write a tutorial blog about this hand he helped me with it.
Here are the settings: set the Normal value to less or more than 0 and the Refraction value to more than 1, then the glass becomes opacity glass.

If you successfully use the method to create the opacity glass, you are welcome to share your rendered images with the opacity glass in the scene with me. I will put them in my blog. And I will of course mention your name.

Hi Ruby!

i didn’t get your explanation right.

When you just use the normal and refraction parameters of the “normal glass” texture as you said, you just get that “pixel” look that we all complain about.

Quickly I can achieve that result:

but a “softer and smoother” frosted glass effect will be highly appreciated!

Do you have any tips?

Normal → No normal map classic but texture in Black/White (Bump Map).
Normal → 0,2 low opacity… 1 Hi opacity

If a black-and-white map is used, the results are better (from my tests).
The more you increase the value of Normal, the more opaque the glass will be.

Idem Refraction.
Refraction → 1.4 Low Opacity. 3 Hi opacity

test
ciano → Normal map classic
Red → Bump map in B/N

• reverse materials

@atelierHKD Is the photo you sent rendered based on the setting I sent?
Below is the rendered image I rendered:

You think this kind of opacity glass is not smooth and soft, right?

yep that’s it. I agree that you can find that kind of glass in the real life with some grain, but it will be great to be able to render a softer / transluscant glass like this:

maybe with another normal map like Paperless said?

To make it smoother you have to be careful about the scale of the map. It has to be small… if you put in a large UV noise map you will have more visible grain.

we still have a limit of D5. I then in post still soften if a different effect is needed.
All the tests I posted are not with post production

Yep, that’s why i push to 100 the scale of the normal map in my test. Maybe i can increase a bit more…!

are you using a map like mine?? attached

Not exactly, but the results are quite similar to the regular normal map. I tried to blur the noise map but its still grainy

Do you have a scene you could share for testing?
I don’t currently have any similar to the examples you posted

Neither do I, i’m just trying to achieve the result on a regular plan of glass…

found this scene that lends itself well

i downloaded that scene, but the frosted glass isn’t great. From far away it’s ok, but when you get closer you have the same issues we’re talking about.

two tests done on the fly to see how my glass material behaves in this scene.
I notice problems with the curved sides of the glass–I don’t know if dependent on the material, the scene, or the settings (I just changed the glass material).

Damn son, that some heavy snowflakes :see_no_evil:

Sparkle glass :smiley:

in summary this material still needs improvement but it is still better than 2.2

2 Likes